Overhauling my O/D gearbox (GT6+)

DanielH

I`m puzzled?. Surely the running surface would have been (at least) heat treated and/or re-hardened?. In my experience, you would not run needle bearings on an un-treated surface, the wear rate would surely be too great. (I assume I am right in thinking Weich, translates as Soft?)

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, happy new year!

I guess I am lucky: the machinist replaced the botched mainshaft with another one, which has a hardened tip:

image.png.f2a6e51e929ce11d30e16730efd8929a.png

The overall endfloat of the old bushes on the new mainshaft is still in spec (0,15mm).

As soon as I've got a new main bearing (the new one really suffered from being inserted thrice), I am going to resume assembly.

Greetings

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johny said:

Yes the main bearings (or any ball race bearing) should really be moved only using force on the appropriate race and thats how the correct Triumph tools do it....

Yes, I think I remember that there was one bearing (main shaft?) that was removed by whacking the shaft through it, while still housed in the casing (Haynes info). Don't know how the correct tool works?

Mine was Particulary tight and assumed this hadn't done it much good.  After dismantling it, I decided to get it rebuilt by Mike Papworth anyway, as I had him do a couple of upgrades to improve reliability and also didn't want to mess about with it any more if anything not quite right, as I have no experience of these.

the churchill patern drag  has large collets that fit in the groove of the removed brg circlip and drag the brg.up the shaft  

the base drag was used by many makes there is one in the club museum and they are shown in the WSManuals 

but a drift and mallet to remove  and a hammer to refit is the normal DIY without any drama 

Pete

Hi there,

the gearbox project advances...I've prepared a homemade Churchill tool which facilitates pressing the bearing onto the shaft:

image.png.b0fdad1d69efeefa493145a452d61f54.png

Soo, everything is in place and turns, and I can switch the gears without loosing synchro balls, which is good:

image.thumb.png.33fec9acd1491e518fc3d7ddb88102ee.png

think the concensus is the relay arm gets a set and will need a careful re straightening but  

wear in the top cover fork/ward can contribute   as its the ward./ fork thats controls the neutral position of the reverse idler lever whether its bent or not 

if its the length of the spacer on the shaft then you can reduce it /extend it to repos the full travel of the idler 

Pete

The teeth of the reverse idler have a length of ca. 0.53in. The colar of the 1st/2nd-synchro unit is shorter than that:

image.png.7b7ca0323542a2cb93a69bde105f0746.png

So I guess there is no lever setting that prevents the idler to be engaged with the synchro unit's gear.

Right? 

Heres a photo from a previous thread which appears to show no contact of the idler gear but if your gearbox came with the measurements you have recorded then it will have to spin with 1st gear. This maybe some thing Triumph accepted with later gearboxes because I believe there were problems with idler gear teeth failures...

IMG_20181022_163852.jpg.4c4c987c3ad211c775879bf9783c0fa6.jpg

• Thanks 1

Is Daniel’s idler gear the right one? The one in the photo Johny posted looks like I remember, it has noticeable bevelled edges which will help in clearing the surrounding gears. Hard to see from Daniel’s video but the teeth look much straighter sided?

Hi there,

I'd love to resume working on my OD but the clutch is being helt up since 5 days in the UK mail...due to the export service disruption. What do you guys think, should the royal mail pay the ransom?

Posting a random foto of my OD innards in the meantime...

greetings

Daniel

uniclutch.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, 

you won't believe it, but it is true: my parcel containing the relined overdrive clutch is still stuck somewhere in the royal mail export pipeline between UK and Germany due to the security breach in early January 😞

And guess what: the gentleman who dispatched the parts doesn't really bother. As a foreigner I cannot file a claim with RM. 

It has been 4 weeks since David has dispatched my overdrive clutch. The tracking status has not changed since he dropped off the parcel at the post office there in Rugby.

How would you deal with that?

greetings

Daniel