Delco Remy Distributor

Triumphgt6

I have built a  Mk111 Spitfire and around me are bumpy country roads. I am finding that the wires within the distributor (Condenser wire and L T Wire) which are held together by the contact set can come apart whilst driving. To solve this I am looking into converting the distributor to electronic. Any suggestions.

thats not a normal failure  something is wrong here 

over the years  as for electronic i have used aldon on the delco on the vitesse  and lumention on the lucas in the 2000 all trouble free (both from club shop )

and ordinary points are also trouble free   if the contact are coming apart there must be a simple solution its not normal 

Pete

Yes I like the accuspark (and under various other names) variety now that they seem to have sorted out the early failure problem. However I do still think its a good idea to buy a second kit, which can be any Amazon 20 pound jobbie, so that in case of a problem you can quickly swop over just the head unit. This needs a small allen key to do but has the advantage of leaving the backplate in place so the timing stays the same👍  

Oh but a word of advice though, be careful when pulling the magnetic trigger wheel off the dizzy shaft as its plastic top can come away from the body which allows the incredibly small but powerful magnets inside to fly out and attach themselves to each other or any metalwork! Its then a horrendously fiddly job to get them back into the body and of course they all have to be installed north-south pole correctly or wont operate the sensor head🤪

1 hour ago, Triumphgt6 said:

I am finding that the wires within the distributor (Condenser wire and L T Wire) which are held together by the contact set can come apart whilst driving.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

thats not a normal failure

Actually it's not at all uncommon with the Mk3 Spitfire. That nasty Delco distributor has the world's worst connector design there and the currently available parts are missing the very subtle bend on the fork tip that holds it all together. Five minutes with a pair of pliers usually fixes it, though, and much cheaper than and EI unit.