Is a J type OD gearbox mounting fixed to the lower chassis bracket (Vitesse)

daverclasper

Hi. I know the fat, V shaped rubber is bonded to the internal V shape  of the crecent shaped bracket that has the  2 top holes to attach to GB/OD unit.

Is the outer surfaces of V shaped rubber mounting bonded/fixed to the lower V shape on the various (I assume?) chassis mounting bracket?.

Or is it sort of floating, though the weight keeps it down?

thanks and Happy New Year

44 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Hi. I know the fat, V shaped rubber is bonded to the internal V shape  of the crecent shaped bracket that has the  2 top holes to attach to GB/OD unit.

Is the outer surfaces of V shaped rubber mounting bonded/fixed to the lower V shape on the various (I assume?) chassis mounting bracket?.

Or is it sort of floating, though the weight keeps it down?

thanks and Happy New Year

You won't, or shouldn't, have a v-shape bracket on the lower mounting plate; it's only for the non-overdrive bobbin mounts. The v-shaped overdrive mounting fixes directly to the flat plate.

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

You won't, or shouldn't, have a v-shape bracket on the lower mounting plate

I don't think he's talking about that V-shaped mounting bracket, but rather the V-shaped channel in the bottom part of the overdrive rubber mount.

And I can confirm that it should be bonded and if it's not then your gearbox / propshaft hits the tunnel every time you brake hard.