Spitfire Scuttle Drainage

Jonah

Evening all

I’m about to take my Mk3 Spitfire out after restoration and began wondering what happens to rainwater that runs down onto the scuttle and through the grilles

This maybe a dull question but I’m perplexed, I’m sure there’s a simple explanation 

best Julian 

I’ve noticed a small rubber flap, opening onto the bulkhead,  is this where excess water is supposed to drain away?

looking through the grilles it’s clear that there hasn’t been any surface protection applied for a very long time

id like to get inside the head of the Triumph designer who thought up this primitive idea!

Has anyone tried to fit a seal of some sort along the top edge of the bonnet to prevent rainwater from getting onto the scuttle and into the heater plenum, which might channel the water off to the side drains?

My daughters Mk2 Spitfire has had the top 2 mesh grills on the top of the scuttle removed by a PO and now have 2 removable chrome expanded metal  grills in their place popped under the scuttle, with each held in place by a small metal bar across each on the top/outside of the scuttle by a single bolt and Rivnut locked into the expanded metal grill. They look good and being removable enable easy access to the plenum chamber to clean out. 

20 hours ago, Jonah said:

Has anyone tried to fit a seal of some sort along the top edge of the bonnet to prevent rainwater from getting onto the scuttle and into the heater plenum, which might channel the water off to the side drains?

Sound like the same set up on my Vitesse, it can cause a water trap on the ledge and my steel brake M.C also pipe runs under the heater box  .

Your idea has got me thinking to look into that.

I currently tape it over with black gaffa type tape in rainy weather (though over the years, it has taken some paint off when removed) and have squirted wax oil under that area.