Twin line brake master cylinder for single line car 76 Spitfire 1500 ???

alan.gilbert_6384

1 hour ago, clive said:

The only problem with that solution is that the bulkhead and support triangles have the modified by cutting a hole etc, I was trying to avoid having to do that.  Thanks anyway 😊

Many people use a hammer to make the dual circuit master cylinder fit...

Not really my style but it is possible..

I am swapping my single to dual but I am swapping the body tub of the MKIV for a 1500. The bulge is actually welded in so cutting it out and/or making space is really not too difficult. It may require positioning holes for the bolts.

I am also reusing/replacing the 1500 brake lines.

You can pretty much get away with re-using the MKIV rear brake lines. The front you will have to refashion a section from the master cylinder and get a "T" union to split it to the front.

Going dual singles is a common mod for racing. Mostly because the rules for most racing is that things have to "period correct" and if there were no tandem master cylinders this is the only "legal" option for getting a dual circuit.

FYI: All tandem Spitfires also had a PDWA which most users eliminate as they are prone to leaking and only provide a the barest of higher value in measures of safety.,...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alan.gilbert_6384 said:

The only problem with that solution is that the bulkhead and support triangles have the modified by cutting a hole etc, I was trying to avoid having to do that.  Thanks anyway 😊

Good, you know about the different support bracket. It lowers the dual M/C so it doesn't hit the bonnet.

2 hours ago, alan.gilbert_6384 said:

Hi Clive, is the dish available anywhere ? Not seen it ☹️

Off a scrap late (1979) Spit? Alternatively, perhaps you could cut out the dish from behind the battery which they had for US dual circuit brakes which appeared on Spits some time earlier than '79.

But I don't believe it's available separately, sorry Alan. I converted my '77 car but I had the luxury of a scrap '79 Spit to take the parts from.

Cheers, Richard

• Like 1