Mini woe 🤬

cliff.b

Went to start our old Mini Clubman Diesel last week as I needed to be somewhere and my Wife was out in the newer car.

Had been sitting outside covered in ice for over a week and was barely turning over then all the dashboard lights went out every time I tried. So put the battery on charge and had to get the trusty Spitfire out of the garage to get me where I needed to be (never driven it in such appalling weather)

Next morning, Mini battery charged and turning over fine, but wouldn't fire up. Found no fuel getting to filter on engine and on further investigation, fuel pump not running.

So rigged up an old electric pump with a separate diesel supply, but still nothing.

Eventually got the AA to come out and fixed it in 20 mins without even getting his tools out.

when the battery died it had reset the ecu which then was no longer communicating with the engine. He had to use software on his computer to reconfigure it and it then started fine.

Guess that's progress 🙄

"Eventually got the AA to come out and fixed it in 20 mins without even getting his tools out. when the battery died it had reset the ecu which then was no longer communicating with the engine. He had to use software on his computer to reconfigure it and it then started fine.

Guess that's progress 🙄"

Just another tool to add to the toolkit for modern cars

2 minutes ago, andybeau said:

"Eventually got the AA to come out and fixed it in 20 mins without even getting his tools out. when the battery died it had reset the ecu which then was no longer communicating with the engine. He had to use software on his computer to reconfigure it and it then started fine.

Guess that's progress 🙄"

Just another tool to add to the toolkit for modern cars

At least there was a reason I couldn't fix it.

Thats poor?, I would expect that the ECU would have had a small rechargable battery, as many other devices do?, to keep the ECU "live" during outages.

My P107, has had flat batteries and never failed to fire up afterwards, even keeps the radio settings.

Pete

46 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Thats poor?, I would expect that the ECU would have had a small rechargable battery, as many other devices do?, to keep the ECU "live" during outages.

My P107, has had flat batteries and never failed to fire up afterwards, even keeps the radio settings.

Pete

Maybe it does have a backup battery but no longer doing the job after nearly 15 years.

Or maybe Mini just don't want to lose any opportunity to get you to empty your wallet at the dealers. Based on previous experience that wouldn't surprise me. For example, brake warning lights that come on and will cause an MOT fail even though the brakes are fine. But the computer has decided that the pads will wear out before the next service.

I prefer an analogue car lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

prefer an analogue car lol

Amen to that!. I often say, what is it with "techies", that they don`t understand about "If it aint broke why fix it"?. I have a son, works for the security services and police, IT security. He`s as bad, "Dad, you need to change that telly?". Why? because it won`t do XYZ and it`s not H-D. Neither are my eyes so it don`t bother me!!. When it breaks, I`ll replace it. This from a Guy who lives on a Thames barge!!, and thinks 250 miles is a long way to come and see his mother!. At his age I regularly did a 100miles before my first call and breakfast.🙄

Pete

10 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Amen to that!. I often say, what is it with "techies", that they don`t understand about "If it aint broke why fix it"?. I have a son, works for the security services and police, IT security. He`s as bad, "Dad, you need to change that telly?". Why? because it won`t do XYZ and it`s not H-D. Neither are my eyes so it don`t bother me!!. When it breaks, I`ll replace it. This from a Guy who lives on a Thames barge!!, and thinks 250 miles is a long way to come and see his mother!. At his age I regularly did a 100miles before my first call and breakfast.🙄

Pete

Don't get me started 😬