Synthetic Fuels

Mark B

21 minutes ago, Mjit said:

Basically while the plugging in would be the norm you also have a number of automated service centres spread around the country where you drive up, the garage takes control of your car (you still in it) and rolls you into a service bay, automatically removes your battery/replaces it with a fresh, fully charged one, you drive off with a full 'tank'. 

Nice idea but yet again another complexity to the whole issue. It only works when the car in question has the right sort of battery set up, at present manufacturers don't seem to have standardised their charging cables/sockets let alone the batteries and their accessibility.

Take as a comparison chargers for mobile phones and other devices so many different connections, the EU is aiming to get them standardised so one charger cable fits all. 

The charging issue will get sorted out eventually I'm sure as the bean counters take control . . . .

On 16/10/2023 at 11:00, Chris A said:

the EU is aiming to get them standardised so one charger cable fits all. 

The latest I-phones/pads are now “standardised” on the latest usb C connector. Allegedly because the EU put the pressure on Apple?. It has however taken over 20+ years to “persuade” EU countries to standardise Camp site hookups I still carry up to 4 different adaptors in the Motorhome.

Pete

I still find it amazing that the standard EU plug works most countries at all!

Turns out every country has some sort of authority, often not government funded, that takes care of things like standardization of plugs etc.

For example you can set up a a "balcony solar power plant"  that is just some solar panels and an inverter and plug it into any outlet. IN most countries this would work on any outlet and up to 800 Watts peak. Here in  Germany they still require a special plug and they only allow 600 Watt.. even though Switzerland, Sweden, and Austria have been doing it for years....

It is all pure berucracy and if it doesn't affect enough people (read. is useful for reelection) they usually do sod all...

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Allegedly because the EU put the pressure on Apple?.

Effectively they told Apple do it or their products wouldn't be EU compatible. They recently, in the last month or so, got Apple to do an update to one of their phones because it wasn't within to emmissionjs regs, in France (maybe the whole of the EU) the phones had to be removed from sale until it was done. Amazing how quick it happened.