Oil filter adapter leak

RussGT6

the old version of the adaptor was supplied with a selection of O rings of different thicknesses so the inner and outer could be chosen to account for any machining discrepency. If somebody has used too thick an inner seal (or teh other way round) that may be the source of the issue. 

You need to remove the adaptor and have a look. 

Later versions have a "floating" inner section which is spring loaded.

New seal sets should be available from Mocal (who make them) or indeed the usual suppliers. Or measure the O rings and try a bearing supplier/ebay

Good call, Clive!

Russ, those original Mocal filter adaptors came with a small piece of BluTac.  Yes, that stuff for posting notes etc on the Fridge!    The idea was to do a trial assembly with the BluTac on the sealing ring, no O-ring.    Take it apart and measure how I thin the Blutac had been compressed, and use the correspondingly thick O-ring.   Only two were supplied, hardly a range!

John

I had the same leak last year after the very cold snap. I'd changed the oil and spin on filter during the previous summer. Everything was oil tight until the very cold snap. I found that I could nip the filter up ( by hand), which sealed the leak. It's been fine since. I can only think that the filter sealing ring had shrunk during the very cold snap?

what ever you do do not wrench up the centre bolt like a gorilla    we have had in the past the whole threaded portion  of the block get fractured out and wreck the block 

its easy for the 6 cyl orig to end up with two 0 rings as john suggested stuck down the Stepped sealing ring groove in the block 

there have been a few Tee shirts for that one 

Pete

3 hours ago, trigolf said:

I had the same leak last year after the very cold snap. I'd changed the oil and spin on filter during the previous summer. Everything was oil tight until the very cold snap. I found that I could nip the filter up ( by hand), which sealed the leak. It's been fine since. I can only think that the filter sealing ring had shrunk during the very cold snap?

Yes I dont think this leak if from the filter seal but could be the lower temperatures which has caused the adaptor ones to shrink. The worst one is inside the adaptor as if that leaks the oil is flowing without going through the filter😭