1600 steel gasket

haggis

think the wsm quotes  coat the gasket    !!!!!!!!!   just spent ages browsing and you know   I cant find the reference so now the brain fog starts 

its written down somewhere it only applied to the 1600  steel shim gasket but the OE wsm dosnt mention it  ( im sure it did  where's it gone )  

Im sure im not dreaming here but cant get at the facts to dispell lunacy creeping in   

Pete

Had this problem with my 1966 1600/6!  Never used any Sealant at all!  Checked with Club and Canley Classics as from new I was told that no Gasket seal was used!! Just make sure the Head Gasket (208652) is up the correct way as I put it on upside down and I had no compression on No1 Cylinder!  Took it back off, Torqued it down and she start for the first time since 1995!

• 1 month later...

Well I changed the headgasket last weekend,  Used heldite on both sides and after 3 runs, I no longer have oil everywhere, and only a little blue smoke on start up warm. Result. !!!

Thanks for all your help. Hag 

• 3 months later...

It looks like a modern multi layer steel gasket with a rubber coating both side for adhesion to the surfaces and with this construction I cant see any difference in which way up its used.

However are the bores alright? On magnification number 1 looks a bit pitted or is that just the photo...

agree the 1600 steel is a single shim ,no layers or composite so what you have is ok for your 2 ltr

in general  no sealer , gaskets need to Grip so nothing slippery  ,

just a smear around the rocker oil feed hole 

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis