Vitesse mk2 rear suspension

How much difference does a rear telescopic conversion make to a Mk2 vitesse with rota flex suspension ?

Have you done the conversion? What ones did you use……Gaz? Spax? Koni? Other? 
What improvement did it make…… comfort? Handling? Etc.

Would you spend money on CV driveshafts?

Would the rota flex suspension kit fit on CV converted car?

When it was first offered in the 1980s one of the problems of this conversion was a poorly designed bracket with the inner end tucking under the spring arch body mount and potentially being rocked into the body on droop or when jacked. Being able to fit longer brackets when the body is off helps.

Now with less likelihood of being able to get lever arm dampers rebuilt and with ongoing improvement in adjustability and ability to set different rates for bump and droop there are ride advantages.

I have on occasion used Spax, but far prefer Koni.

Rotoflex worked, both on the Vitesse and on other installs like the Lotus Elan, but they do tend to ‘wind up’ under power and give potentially too much flex in drive transmission. Also for a long time there were poorly made ones on the market that would separate rubber from metal plates quite quickly. This properly executed CV conversions are good if you are not going for originality.

If a car has had a CV conversion you need to check what type it was and whether any bearing changes were made in the suspension upright. Ultimately if a car has an original diff and mounting positions an original full Rotoflex set up can be retrofitted.

Edited by FinnAdam
Answering supplementary question more fully

9 hours ago, Puglet1 said:

Would the rota flex suspension kit fit on CV converted car?

If you've fitted CV drive shafts instead of the Rotaflex ones, then you should be able to fit "normal" shocks, without the need for the conversion kit.

The whole point of the conversion kit was to get the shocks in a position where they cleared the rotaflex donuts. 

Without the donuts in the way, shocks will fit the same way as they do on Heralds and Spitfires.

6 hours ago, KevinR said:

If you've fitted CV drive shafts instead of the Rotaflex ones, then you should be able to fit "normal" shocks, without the need for the conversion kit.

The whole point of the conversion kit was to get the shocks in a position where they cleared the rotaflex donuts. 

Without the donuts in the way, shocks will fit the same way as they do on Heralds and Spitfires.

Except.  As they are so angled, and the angle increases as the suspension is compressed, the effective damping decreases.   Dampers should be as vertical as possible.

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnD said:

Except.  As they are so angled, and the angle increases as the suspension is compressed, the effective damping decreases.   Dampers should be as vertical as possible

Good point. I'm no expert, but why did Triumph mount the shocks at an angle on the pre-rotaflex chassis? Having tried both damper locations ( i.e. using the conversion brackets, and subsequently the chassis top mount, as per Vit Mk 1 ( using CV shafts) I can't feel a noticeable difference in damping. I tried using the 'official' specced correct length Gaz shocks, but found them too firm, even on min setting. I'm using Vit Mk 1 Koni shocks and find the ride much more compliant.

If you do a search on here for Koni it will show you how I fitted Koni 80-1717 Dampers designed for the front of the Original Mini, to my old Vitesse MK2 fitted with standard Roto-flex suspension.

The ride was slightly firmer but not harsh, I never raced the car but the Koni dampers supposedly give better handling.

If you are happy with the Lever Arm dampers and they are serviceable and not leaking I wouldn't bother to be honest unless you are racing or sprinting

Don't fit the Koni dampers specified for the earlier cars with the top Damper Extension Brackets or you will find they bottom out (They are too long when using the extension bracket) 

As Kevin states, the Koni Dampers specified for the earlier Vitesse 6 & 2 Litre Mk1 models should be ok if you convert to CV Driveshafts and use the original earlier top chassis mounts. 

Regards 

Gary 

Edited by Gary Flinn
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

My car is a MK II Vitesse (rotoflex) convertible which I bought around 4 months ago.

I Recently installed new rear trunnion bolts, new donuts and then converted to tele shocks as the old lever-arm shocks were clapped and for me, there really was no question about the way to go. The improvement was immediately apparent; the car now feels heaps better without any clattering from the back end and it only shakes it’s arse a wee bit from side to side over bumps.

Incidentally, I fitted the ‘standard’ shocks (I don't intend to race and I am too old to be a boy racer) along with the Rimmer brackets however the brackets interfered with the body so some small adjustments had to be made.

I consider it was well worth the cost & effort.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Moonshiner said:

My car is a MK II Vitesse (rotoflex) convertible which I bought around 4 months ago.

I Recently installed new rear trunnion bolts, new donuts and then converted to tele shocks as the old lever-arm shocks were clapped and for me, there really was no question about the way to go. The improvement was immediately apparent; the car now feels heaps better without any clattering from the back end and it only shakes it’s arse a wee bit from side to side over bumps.

Incidentally, I fitted the ‘standard’ shocks (I don't intend to race and I am too old to be a boy racer) along with the Rimmer brackets however the brackets interfered with the body so some small adjustments had to be made.

I consider it was well worth the cost & effort.

I did the same with my Vitesse though chose Gaz shocks as it was part of the deal which the club shop offered . If standard shocks were offered I would have chosen them as currently the shocks are on level 2 any higher the rear end bounces all over the place . A worthwhile upgrade with the donuts supplied by Canleys