Mis-firing Triumph Spitfire 1500 1980

Pettifordo

1 hour ago, Pettifordo said:

For now I’m going to adjust the points and perhaps come back to Electronic Ignition at a later date 👍

I think its essential with that type of EI to install it correctly with good earthing/cooling using the heat sink paste. I suspect that excessive temperature is a killer.

Also of course you mustnt have a ballast coil without the resistance in its supply or, equally bad, a ballast coil with resistance but the Accuspark supply (red wire) taken directly from the coil +ve.... 

21 hours ago, johny said:

ballast coil with resistance

I used the heat sink paste when I fitted the Accuspark.

This is the coil I bought - https://amzn.eu/d/9NIIhbg

I don’t think it is ballasted

I SUSPECT that heat is the killer for this type of unit - I will probably stay with points for now and perhaps go with external Electronic Ignition in the future.

That looks like a coil for ballast systems (see Q&A at bottom of product page) but then your car probably is that. You should have two wires coming into the +ve of the coil, one has 12v but only when the starter is turning and the other 6v (as reduced by a resistor somewhere) for normal running. With that system the Accuspark red wire has to be fed from a 12v supply somewhere else or it only gets 6v...

a 1500 would normally be a resistance wire in the loom to drop down to 6-8v  with a 1.5 ohm coil was the orig std.

most electronic units have a operating voltage of 6 -18v   its quite easy if the lecy unit is fed from the ballasted supply that with a cold day and a low battery

state that you can fall below the operating voltage and the thing plays up ( hence the requirement to make the trigger unit has a 12v supply )

if you bypass the ballast you must fit a 3 ohm coil 

Pete

Stick with points. Electronic is an upgrade you don't need to make. Access is so easy in a Spitfire that occasional checking the gap is a doddle. Plus...carrying a spare set, condensor, cap & rotor means roadside fix is always easy (if on a long trip...personally I never bother)

On 25/04/2023 at 18:56, johny said:

Pity as I love not having the niggling feeling that engine performance isnt optimum because my gap has changed, points are sparking or are affected by play in the dizzy rotor🤪

So Accuspark have been really helpful and called me up to discuss my install.

I’m going to give it another go and therefore need to connect the live wire from the Accuspark to a live wire before the ballast resistor.

Can anyone who has done this advise on where best to connect it as I can’t see a Ballast Resistor. Could I just attached to any live feed that is live at the same time as the ignition is turned on or does it have to be a special type of supply ?

the more modern including the 1500 have a resistive wire as a link from the ignition switch to the coil  positive 

generally a dull white with a faded pink tracer

the 12v boost is a short wire yellow and black ( thats from memory so might be wrong )  from the starer solenoid to the coil Positive 

any white wire from the ignition switch is a good place to pick up ignition controlled 12v 

pete

So new EI Accuspark fitted. 

Got the problem with the sluggish turn over and rev counter going bonkers.

Made myself a new dizzy Earth wire using the original end fitting and some very soft wire.

Been out for a 25 mile test drive - was ropey for the first mile 🤬🤬🤬🤬

But since then it has been running very nicely - perhaps a bit rich - or do old cars just smell of petrol 🧐🧐

Will tweak before I go to the South Warwickshire meet up tomorrow evening 👍👍

Recently had a similar problem with my Vitesse. I ended up changing all of the hoses from the tank to carbs with barricade ones, making sure there were no leaks, I fitted a new in line glass filter, cleaned out the filter in the fuel pump, made sure the tank was clean and delivering plenty of fuel to the lines - but the main problem with mine was shards of rubber in the float bowl inlet needle valves. I’d describe my symptom as loss of power and cutting out as opposed to a misfire.

On 02/05/2023 at 21:17, Pettifordo said:

Just been to the South Warwickshire area meet up - car running super nicely 👍

Dare I describe it as fixed !

Is it performing with a bit more energy as well? Less 'old car' as you put it.