Wind Deflector on a Spitfire Mk4

John L

Has anyone added a wind deflector to their open top? I see Rimmers sell one for the Spitfire RL1633 and I was wondering if they make a difference in terms of buffeting etc?

Any tips appreciated

Thanks

Can’t give an opinion re Spitfire, but I have a 2006 VW Eos for which I obtained a wind deflector, the type that sits behind the occupants.Similar sort of thing in principle at least.

I was very  surprised by the vast  difference it made.Hardly any buffeting”,  to the extent of being able to hold a normal conversation at 70 plus.

Edited by Unkel Kunkel

8 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

The one I fitted on my 13/60 certainly stops the passengers hair from blowing into their face, I don't have the length :)

Re the noise reduction...... I've never been fast enough to notice !

Interesting? Where do they mount?.

Pete

Pete, there is a plastic coated cardboard 'tray' that clips over the full width and depth of the rear seat with a vertical perspex screen slotted in vertically behind the front seats. I'll try and get a picture next time I fit it. Just google it mate, plenty of people trying to get £400 for one !!

11 hours ago, John L said:

Has anyone added a wind deflector to their open top? I see Rimmers sell one for the Spitfire RL1633 and I was wondering if they make a difference in terms of buffeting etc?

Any tips appreciated

Thanks

I've got one on my MKIV reduces the buffeting remarkably, the one I've got has brackets that go into the soft top mounting points, does interfere with the action of the seat belt though.

• 1 month later...
On 09/05/2023 at 11:24, Colin Lindsay said:

There's bound to be a modern car version that will fit, for a fraction of the price. This one is from an Audi, cost me £50 and fits the Herald beautifully (or will once I work out how to attach it!)

IMG_3320.thumb.jpeg.3ad44bc02f6d3a5c5d211597c46f39a7.jpeg

Colin, I have also bought the same one. I’m think I’ve found a suitable way to fit it - but not quite complete.

I can take a few photos when I’m next working on the car if you’re interested?

5 hours ago, Puglet1 said:

Colin, I have also bought the same one. I’m think I’ve found a suitable way to fit it - but not quite complete.

I seem to remember that Audi deflectors were the most suitable. Not sure on sizes though, have you both bought Audi A3 deflectors?

2 hours ago, MK2 Ed said:

I seem to remember that Audi deflectors were the most suitable. Not sure on sizes though, have you both bought Audi A3 deflectors?

A3 for me. Dimensions seem more or less perfect for my Mk2 Vitesse.

Pete.

8 hours ago, Puglet1 said:

Please; it'll help immensely. I haven't done a thing to it, or the car, to make it fit in ages.

This is another photo of mine:

s-l1600-100.thumb.jpg.698a391b2f90d135e26fc1473c4e1fd4.jpg

This is the photo that Cabrio Supply sent me when I complained that their 'fast and easy installation' deflector didn't fit the Herald and should be taken back for refund:

TirumphVitesseWindDeflectorAPERTABuynowCabrioSupply0D0A(7).thumb.jpg.efa72a94f7d84348633f8ffc9d5523b9.jpg

Hi Colin. Please bear in mind that this is still work in progress and needs finishing.

I have tried to keep fixing and removal as easy as possible.

I have used 3x20mm stainless steel flat bar, Self fit plastic hooks and 3mm bungee cord which I bought off EBay.

I drilled a 13mm hole in the steel bar and elongated it with a Dremill to obtain a snug fit around the rubber posts at the front end of the deflector.

I will either screw the bar to the inner panel or if possible fix the plate with a strong metal adhesive (do you know of one?).

I am going to fix the plastic hook and bungee to rear as I want to keep drilling the body to a minimum.

I have attached photos below which I hope will help.
Photos not in order, some duplicated but I cannot delete. Any questions

please ask. 

IMG_5392.thumb.jpeg.c618e809f8ce6dbf9e2bdf9c9b48a202.jpegIMG_5398.thumb.jpeg.25079608a88a063c40649dab7119a2bb.jpegIMG_5394.thumb.jpeg.70af3d2f36999abd55bae0e5ddc3c73c.jpegIMG_5394.thumb.jpeg.70af3d2f36999abd55bae0e5ddc3c73c.jpegIMG_5400.thumb.jpeg.c8eb9d02886a3499c5c914733cf34528.jpegIMG_5399.thumb.jpeg.3ec44d82d483049923d4648fec1aef00.jpeg

IMG_5402.jpeg

IMG_5401.jpeg

IMG_5397.jpeg

IMG_5396.jpeg

I like the steel brackets; never tried elastic on the rears tho. On mine (Audi A3) the edge of the deflector sits out over the rear wing at the front, so any bracket will require to come back inboard. I'm looking at attaching the rear to the poppers under the hood bag, but it's the outer front edges that are causing the head scratching. I could cut those lugs off but don't know what damage that will do to the folding mechanism.

IMG_3322.thumb.jpeg.dc495c35c4ddc0be3b3cfb091407bf24.jpeg

Hi Colin.

Is your deflector set central so that you have the same overhang each side?

Do you have a 3mm gap between the side of the deflector and the inner edge of the body? If so, I think the above method will work on your car because the plastic part of the lugs could sit inside of the bracket hole.

Alternatively, you could offset the upper part of the bracket so that it moves the hole more outboard.

I have attached a couple of photos to try to show you what I mean - bearing in mind I haven’t cut the top off my bracket and re-welded it outboard .IMG_5408.thumb.jpeg.ea4ef687d958e24f25efff80f25abc19.jpegIMG_5407.thumb.jpeg.2878a52103b29a9d40db10c9b1fab2a8.jpeg

Here are a couple of bad pics of my genuine herald/Vitesse one. First the base which has two brackets that sit on the frame and elastic to clip under seat. 2nd with screen slotted in. This also ha a skirt that goes behind seats to stop draughts.

20230704_111843.jpg

20230704_112315.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Drove the car for the first time today with the wind deflector fitted. It has made driving with the hood down at speed much more comfortable. Need to complete the hood stowage cover modification (have found material but needs cutting and stitching). It is easy to fit and remove and is easily stored in the boot when not in use. IMG_5489.thumb.jpeg.b66afc6b187de5dc02a8e33aaab43b45.jpegIMG_5490.thumb.jpeg.6bc3d23173f0e20cced3f1c9f242e3cd.jpegIMG_5489.thumb.jpeg.b66afc6b187de5dc02a8e33aaab43b45.jpeg

IMG_5488.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for posting; I haven't yet got round to fitting one (Herald has covered less than 20 miles so far this year, almost constant heavy rain has prevented any runs.)

Getting it close to the back of the neck like that is bound to be better. How does yours detach, what is the other end of the metal bracket bolted to?