balking going into 1st gear

daverclasper

Hi everyone

Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2Litre.

Sometime back I moved my clutch slave cylinder forward with spacers by about 6mm, as going into reverse was grinding sometimes and intermittent balking into first. Also clutch was starting to disengage very close to floor.

This has helped a lot with reverse, though first still balking intermittently.

If I pump the clutch, it seems to go in more smoothly.

As far as I know the clutch system was properly bled a while back (bleed nipple is in the lower hole and and system bled with push rod extended and finally by pushing push rod back in to expel any remaining air in slave cylinder) and also car was raised at the rear.

Could this be an actual clutch problem that is temporarily helped by pumping the pedal even if no air in system.

The gearbox was rebuilt by Mike Papworth recently, including remote bushes etc.

Any advice as always much appreciated.

Cheers Dave 

Sounds like it needs bleeding, or new mcyl and slave seals

there can be wear in the mcyl clevis hole, and wear on the withdrawl lever pins and the carrier gets a groove to match

some clutch kits have a 15mm thin bearing which should be 19 mm thick makes the lever pivot 'late'

all these can loose travel

make sure the pedal spindle has not seized , if the pedal doesnt fully return you never refill the m cyl

There must be a small float play on the mcyl pushrod when the pedal is fully back

Hi and thanks so much for getting back.

There was wear on the brake pedal hole/clevis pin where it joins MC. I replaced the clevis pin (I haven't got facilities to weld hole/re drill or weld washers on).

MC and SC were rebuilt recently with seals from rarebits I think

There is some play in MC push rod when at rest.

Would it be worth bringing the SC forward even more with longer spacers to compensate for wear/Shorter clutch bearing, do you think.

Also re bleed system.

Cheers, Dave 

Steve right moving the slave only moves the cylinder postion not the piston

the thin throwout makes the see saw leverage unbalanced

can be cured by fittling a couple of washers under the spherical pivot post to re align the centreline

if the lever is low it then pitches the throwout on its sleeve as the pins will be away from the shaft centre line

but needs box of to play wiith the spherial post

I would re bleed by pushing the slave piston fully home /rearwards then re bleed

always the easy basics first

pete

What ever you do to the pushrod willnot make any change to the withdrawl lever angles the wdrawl lever angles are controlled by disc thickness ,finger positon, bearing thickness, pin and groove wear , not the

external hydraulics.

the cyl is long enough to cater for all wear and tear, the push rod lengths only improve things if the piston

has extended to solid stop at the end of its travel, it should never get that far with general wear.

even with all the above wear points noted the base slave will work ,

please re check the bleed , and carpets for restricting travel

then there could be fundamental problems with the cover and disc, but do the simplze first

can we check the crank end float ,,,, just another idea.

pete