Metallic rattling from rear

Is it possible it's worse when reversing as you're moving in the direction of the sound, rather than away? Is it worse when turning to one side only, or both? 

Could it be the exhaust rattling, try to move it about when cold and the engine is turned off and see if you can make the same noises?

20 hours ago, Nigel Clark said:

Are the new UJs tight in their yokes? Over the years, the yokes and particularly their circlip grooves can wear, allowing play even with brand new UJs.

Canley Classics sell thicker circlips to take up this wear.

Nigel

I changed a drive shaft last year and noticed that the new UJ was tight in the shaft yoke but "floppy" in the diff side yoke which I reused. Not surprisingly, there was slight clonking which is now getting worse so needs attention.

I was going to replace the old yoke but are these thicker circlips a reasonable alternative?

36 minutes ago, DerekS said:

That's how I established where the noise was coming from on mine 16 years ago, I mic'd up a Fosters beer tin one night, 3 thou, made a set of shims up and hey presto, no noise. Easy make too! 

Derek.

Yes, and disposing of the liquid the shim material comes packaged with is alright too :D

1 hour ago, DerekS said:

That's how I established where the noise was coming from on mine 16 years ago, I mic'd up a Fosters beer tin one night, 3 thou, made a set of shims up and hey presto, no noise. Easy make too! 

Derek.

That seems very thin. How many shims did you need to use? I see the oversized circlips are +9 thou.

Cliff b, I only needed one shim under each circlip on mine. But bear in mind that's a "float" of 6 thou in total. I have now replaced them with thicker circlips; I found that some of the circlips supplied with new U/Js were not a standard thickness. This can be a right old minefield... a micrometer is an absolute must for comparison. 

Derek.

Ps, don't assume that the yokes were accurately machined in the first place.

Edited by DerekS

12 hours ago, DerekS said:

Cliff b, I only needed one shim under each circlip on mine. But bear in mind that's a "float" of 6 thou in total. I have now replaced them with thicker circlips; I found that some of the circlips supplied with new U/Js were not a standard thickness. This can be a right old minefield... a micrometer is an absolute must for comparison. 

Derek.

Ps, don't assume that the yokes were accurately machined in the first place.

Been taking a look this morning and there is noticeable end float in the old yoke. Removed the circlips and the UJ caps move easily. Both circlips are about 60 thou thick.

No yokes for the later Spits appear to be available anywhere at the moment so doing to try shimming. Was the can you used aluminium or steel?

Edited by cliff.b
Add text

i tried harden  steel shim stock  it only lasted a few miles and became minced  up 

if a coke can can last   ???  there is a lot of load contained in these drive shaft UJs   they dont take prisoners 

shim has to be a good sized fit if any cap rotation takes place i dont think shims will last well 

take care  , loosing a clip is a wonderful sound 

pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

As recycling was collected yesterday the only can I had was dissected and found to be aluminum about 12 thou thick. Made a couple of shims using an old UJ cap as a pattern but could only fit one as too thick for two. Now no visible float and if the circlips are forced to turn in their slots with a hammer and punch, the shim moves with it and on the other side without a shim, the UJ cap moves with the circlip So assuming in normal use the UJ cap is now being held tightly and will be stationary.

Driving the car the noise has completely gone at the moment, so proving that was the problem. Will probably fit the thicker circlips at some point but while they are 25p at Canley's the minimum postage is £4.10, so I will either look for them elsewhere or wait until I need something else.

And just to complicate matters further, some of the new circlips supplied with the good quality new U/Js were thinner than the originals, can't remember the value now but it was considerable. A minefield. I also changed the U/J on my propshaft and didn't have any bother whatsoever... 

Derek 

18 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

Ak, ok. So when it says +9 that is for the pair 👍

well thats the way I took it as the circlips Canleys do are 0.0615 and 0.0645 thick so taking a standard one as 60 thou (?) that would make oversizes of 1.5 and 4.5 thou per circlip. You really want to use them in pairs to keep the axis centred so giving 3 and 9 thou...

2 minutes ago, johny said:

well thats the way I took it as the circlips Canleys do are 0.0615 and 0.0645 thick so taking a standard one as 60 thou (?) that would make oversizes of 1.5 and 4.5 thou per circlip. You really want to use them in pairs to keep the axis centred so giving 3 and 9 thou...

So as I fitted a 12 thou shim and could have probably fitted a thinner one the other side my yoke is probably well knackered lol