13/60 Herald. Rear Drive shaft Question?

PeteH

Hi

Seen some Discussion about the fitting of C-V type joints to other cars (Mostly Vittesse and GT6 etc).

Which raises a question?. I have a "kit of parts" for a 13/60 Herald which I am about to start "work" on.

Remembering the issue I had with a Mk1 Vitesse, back in the 80`s which had a tendency to hop and skip when used solo. ( I habitually kept a bag of Sand in the boot!) I was wondering IF it would be possible to retrofit C-V jointed rear drive shafts?. If Yes, what and where to acquire them. If No Why?.

Any suggestions?

Pete

Yes, but you would need to effectively fit a complete rotoflex rear end. With the CV shafts replacing the rotoflex shafts.

This is because you would need a lower wishbone. In normal herald suspension teh solid driveshaft does that job, with CV's it would all flop about.

Simple solution to your "problem" would be a courier rear spring with 1" spacer block, or, a swing-spring conversion (which may end up being a bit low)

Both those transform the handling of a herald etc car.

I did the CV conversion on my MK 1 Vitesse after shedding a rear wheel with the brake drum etc still attached,as Clive says its basically converting to Rotoflex and then fitting the CV shafts instead of the roto doughnut shafts.

You have to weld the chassis brackets on for the bottom wishbone mounts and drill the rear out rigger as the adjustable tie bars sit further inboard.

Also the handbrake cable mounts are on the body for Roto cars and on the chassis for non rot,the handbrake adjustment needs careful setup as the brakes can bind as the suspension moves up and down if not done right.

I did it because i didn`t want the shafts snapping again but this was a Vitesse with a 2.5 tuned engine in it.

My Herald still has the standard setup albeit with 5.5J steelies.

If your only concern is hop and skip then i would address that with spring/shock/setup first.

Cheers

Steve

From days of testing truck halfshafts there is a torsional memory taken on by the shaft, if you fit a lh shaft to the righthand side you reverse the main torsional twist/set and this starts a crack and ultimate

eminates into a clean shearing of the shaft like its been cut clean through

seen this on a couple of heralds

might explain things

pete

Hi

Can you confirm:- "Simple solution to your "problem" would be a courier rear spring with 1" spacer block,".

By Courier Spring, Is that a new rear spring OR one from the Van?. (ie possibly stiffer or??)

Pete

P.s. Thanks for the response it has been quite enlightening.

P

http://www.canleyclassics.com/demoapp/?ptno=305686

There have been Courier spec springs manufactured for Rarebits4 classics and I believe Canley Classics

finding a used one from a Courier Van may take some searching.

Having tried a swinger on my Vi6 saloon was a useless move fitting a courier spring and 1" drop plate worked wonders, you do need long er studs (canley) and the apperture cover needs modifiying as it makes contact I used a thick rubber sheet.

Kept the later thicker anti roll , set the geometry as book and its on rails compared to the boat effect of a swinger and its inability to hold the car weight or any boot or passengers without bottoming the shockers

The shocks are essentially the same across all heralds and spits now. If you want the best (arguable) then Koni. They are valved differently to spax/gaz and work better (apparently!) plus I have put my money where my mouth is!

However, as long as you avoid the cheap black shocks sold by most, I would happily fit almost anything.

certainly stiffens the back up but would not say harsh,  i had spax adjustables but like all aftermarket must haves   ....what to set them too is the problem

i would stick with pre spec'd    ready to fit and forget  with no messing  about with is it too hard or too soft and dont have a clue but they cost a fortune so must be good syndrome  

Pete