Which Sump

AidanT

Hi

I need to find a replacement sump on the engine i'm rebuilding The engine is a MK2 Vitesse and it is going into a MK1 GT6 - Which part number should I be buying or are they all the same for the 2 litre and it doesn't it matter ?

Thanks

Aidan

Looks like theres one part number of sump for Vitesse Mk2, GT6 Mk2 and 3 then another for Vitesse 1600 and mk1 2L plus GT6 Mk1 so they probably relate to the model of engine not the car. There can be sump problems with using saloon engines but I cant see why your Mk2 Vitesse engine with its correct sump shouldnt go straight in a Mk1 GT6....

49 minutes ago, Gully said:

You'll need a GT6 sump to clear the steering rack. https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-gt6-mkiii&diagram=triumph-gt6-mkiii-plates-sump-rear-oil-seal-dipstick-lifting-eyes Part 308571. Worth checking the usual suppliers, as Canley say available 2nd hand to order.

Gully

Gully  -  there's a different number for the MK1 GT6 though 307439 - just wondered if / why its  different

Aidan

14 minutes ago, johny said:

Looks like theres one part number of sump for Vitesse Mk2, GT6 Mk2 and 3 then another for Vitesse 1600 and mk1 2L plus GT6 Mk1 so they probably relate to the model of engine not the car. There can be sump problems with using saloon engines but I cant see why your Mk2 Vitesse engine with its correct sump shouldnt go straight in a Mk1 GT6....

Ok thanks - if the later sump still firs then there's no issue - anyone else confirm?

Aidan

8 minutes ago, AidanT said:

Gully  -  there's a different number for the MK1 GT6 though 307439 - just wondered if / why its  different

Aidan

yes the mk1 engine sump had a gauze mesh sheet across it to catch any debris and its oil pump intake was open while the mk2 engine sump had the gauze in the end of the oil pump intake instead. Ive used a later oil pump in my Mk1 Vitesse engine and the sump gauze sheet had to be ripped out as the new pumps intake filter wouldnt fit into it - I believe this is the only difference... 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, johny said:

Canley seem have the MK1 type sump in stock if youre stuck although it probably will need the gauze sheet modifying (not difficult)...

Thanks - this is option 2!  Have asked when they might get the other one in. I guess I could measure where the oil pump would go through and cut a cross to slide the draw pipe through 

Aidan

Edited by AidanT

Cutting it would leave open ended strands of gauze wire which could come loose so if your pump has a strainer fitted I would recommend prising open the tabs that hold the gauze sheet on the mk1 sump and removing it completely. Theres also the difficulty of threading your pump intake, which may be angled, through the gauze as you try to install the sump...

So interestingly this is what I received from Canleys. Seems the right size pls there's an opening for the pump. Any reason why I shouldn't use as is ( once cleaned - Thanks for that Canleys!!)

20230804_165920.jpg

• 2 weeks later...