Screen scratch removal advice needed

gt6j

Does anyone have tried and tested tips for removing scratches in door glass please. I know there's many products out there but don't want to waste money and time if possible. Scratches are many vertical ones in both sides door glass I believe from old trim that scratched it as being wound up and down would rather keep glass than just replace if possible. 

i used a ebay paste kit  to blend out the plonker before me that ran a wiper arm and scored the laminated screen  realy needs a fast drill but a battery one worked the heavy score to not quite 

invisible its deep as the blades misses the repair , 

side glass will  be toughened glass    much harder to de blemish 

Pete

I tried one of those ebay kits like Pete. It was used on a Spitfire windscreen,  also an attempt to remove some dopey previous owner's wiper arm scratches. It was an old fashioned toughened glass screen. Using the paste with an 18 volt battery drill, I was able to soften the edges of the scratches but couldn't remove them. 

Nigel

Interestingly, I`v often wondered if the "resin" that the window fitters use to repair stone chip`s, would work on a scratch?. If it would, should be OK on a side glass, even though ,technically, a bad scratch inside the screen wiper area, is an MOT fail? I believe?.

Pete

9 hours ago, gt6j said:

Looks a fiddly job to replace door glas

Provided that the aligment of the glass and the quarter light frame is good the job is not hard, but it is tedious. The actual removal/replacement of the drop glass is, in itself, the easy bit: Remove the rear channel (two bolts) and allow channel to fall out of position. Remove the low position stop bracket (having noted its position). Wind window down and allow carrier channel to slide off the nylon runners (wheels) while noting the relative position of glass and lift mechanism which allows this to occur. Lift glass from door. Replacement is reverse of above except that on refitting time needs to be spent getting a good adjusment of the rear channel such that the glass runs true and nicely.

Possibly more time will be spent: a) removing/replacing door card without damage b) transfering the carrier channel from old glass to new without breaking either c) removing the waist seals and then the curse'd job of refitting them. And to also mention that the rear channel may need a new rubber insert channel (easy) or if rendered weak by corrosion may need repair or remanufacture (hard).

But if glass is signficantly scractched then there's not really a solution other than biting the bullet on replacement.

• Thanks 1