Fuel spill

micmak

26 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

you are right to keep quiet   you need to know these littles cars sit out there and listen 

so they can catch you out 

so keep mum  !!!!

Pete

Ha ha!   I think you are right, Pete.  The little beggars DO listen, and they try to trick us!  Just wait and see, the next time I start the car it will probably run like crap!    Nah, I know it will be fairly good.  It might need a tiny little adjustment.  But after all, it is a 57 year old car.  I needed adjustment myself when I reached 57! 

It's not ideal to use the throttle cable to adjust the idle but for now drive and enjoy. As the engine bay gets hotter the idle will drop 'cos the cable will lengthen😂. Sorting out the cable then tuning the carbs can wait for another (warmer) day.

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks, just a little update to let you know that there is no update!  Not really.  I drove the Vitesse down to the local village today.  It was the first time in weeks and weeks that I touched the car.  It started perfectly.  It drove perfectly.  It idled perfectly, and restarted at the store perfectly.  Although I only drove this little car for about 8 or 9 kms round-trip, I think my fuel woes are behind me.  The car just drives and behaves so nicely.  I let it idle when I returned for about 10 minutes just to see how it idled.  I wouldn’t go as far as to say that it idled like a modern car, but it is not too far off.  And no dumping of fuel.  Very pleased with the car in general.  Now that the weather has got nicer, and the fuel dumping issue APPEARS to be behind me, I might attempt adjusting the rear tub so as to allow my driver’s door to close easier.  Maybe in the next few weeks.  

.....Mick.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

drivers door ... do check the sprung slide under the striker is oiled and free to slide

if you have bubble/tube   door seals the doors will always need a slam 

cheap fix is to stanley knife the balloon to make it a flip lip  

Pete

No, it’s not that simple, Pete.  The door actually hits the body before the lock or striker ever get involved in closing the door.

IMG_1613.jpeg

IMG_1612.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

aha   so it needs the rear tub moving rearwards a bit ???

doubt if the hinge adjustment would be enough ..   time to play ,  may need some aspirin Ha ! 

Pete

Exactly, Pete.  I won't have time for a while, but when I get a chance, I hope to move it back about a millimetre and see if it helps.  If not, then another millimetre, and so on.  I was terrified at the idea of doing this a few months ago, but as I get more familiar with the car, and read more on this forum, I am getting more confident.   Now I am actually looking forward to doing this adjustment.

.....Mick.....

as apprentice in experimental a truck with some damage to the front apron they decided to chain it to a tow truck and pull the dent out...they ripped the whole front off 

so advise do not chain it to a lampost and drive off .

the front bulkhead has the two front holes are sized to be a more fixed location 

the rear tub can move a lot if needed 

does the door need raising on the hinges ,as there is adjustment on the door and the A post 

are the door gaps parallel ||   not |/

Pete

21 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

as apprentice in experimental a truck with some damage to the front apron they decided to chain it to a tow truck and pull the dent out...they ripped the whole front off 

so advise do not chain it to a lampost and drive off .

the front bulkhead has the two front holes are sized to be a more fixed location 

the rear tub can move a lot if needed 

does the door need raising on the hinges ,as there is adjustment on the door and the A post 

are the door gaps parallel ||   not |/

Pete

The gap at the B post is rather tight.   The door hangs well and doesn't drop.  I don't want to hijack this thread too much more as it is a fuel conversation.  We discussed it all here a few months ago: