Fuel spill

micmak

do check the short fuel hose from the top of the tank is secure and not gone hard degraded 

this when in trouble just allows the pump to suck air  and wont show as a fuel leak but seriously affects the pumps  ability to supply any demand for fuel 

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

Hi Guys, 

Since I got this car and realized it’s problems, I have suspected fuel starvation.  What I couldn’t understand is how it was ok at times, and really bad at other times.  A few days ago, while increasing the idle to stop the engine from stalling, I noticed the fuel filter was not filled with petrol.  I thought that it should be totally filled at all times, so much so, that you could hardly tell if it was empty or full through the glass.  Today, I decided to take it out.  Little did I know that all the fuel in the tank would puke all over the place, but I managed to get a piece of hose on to the line and stop the hemorrhaging. I lost lots of fuel onto the chassis and onto the floor of the garage.   

And so on to the filter;  It was far from clean.  As you can see in the pics, there was a lot of cloth/fabric-like bits in it, almost like carpet fluff, along with sand-like bits.

In the last pic, you see all the dirt that came out onto a clean white piece of cardboard.  My question now is how do I clean the filter?  I was tempted to literally rinse it out under running water and leave it to dry indoors near a radiator for a day or two before assembling.  Is that good enough?  The filter doesn’t seem to be damaged or dirty beyond a good cleaning.  What should I do?

By the way, I looked at the hose at the top of the tank to see if it was perished as Pete suggested, but it is new looking and in good condition. 

IMG_6485.jpeg

IMG_6486.jpeg

IMG_6489.jpeg

IMG_6488.jpeg

Ugh! That's manky! But, not unusual :) Is it a problem? Well it depends on how long since it's last clean. I have the same type and I clean it under the cold water tap at full bore. I'd clean it, dry it, put it back and check regularly. I seem to clean mine once a year, but it's not as yukky as that. I hope the orange I can see isn't rust. If it is it's likely come from the tank.

Some of the other stuff looks like the dread rubber slivers, if these get through to your needle valves you may get flooding if they stick 'em open, or starvation if they block them. 

And rarely do I see filters 100% full, mine runs a 1/3 full.

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6

yes seems to be one of lifes mysteries why the filters dont always run full - mine varies but has no affect on the running. Good though that fuel came through when you disconnected the filter as it shows a clear line which syphons the fuel out of the tank as it should👍

If an original tank Id be very surprised if there isnt any rust coming from it - mines pretty bad but doesnt seem to be causing any problems apart from making the filters dirty....

Thanks Guys.  I have washed the filter and all its parts.  All the pieces are sitting on a radiator where they will stay until tomorrow, at the earliest.   I didn't see any rubbery slivers among the dirt.  When I had the carb bowls off a few weeks ago, there were none there either, so I think I am ok in that regard.  It is hard to say if the sandy-looking stuff is rust or not.  But just in case, I guess the old idea of never letting the fuel tank get really low, now applies more than ever. Let's hope that this will solve my problem, although I have my doubts as fuel was still getting through the dirt in the filter.  But only time will tell.  I hope to get a chance to reassemble it tomorrow and get some fresh fuel for a test.

Thanks Guys.

.....Mick.....

it is unusual ti find the dreaded rubber slivers in the filter they are made when fitting hose to the metal pipework at the carb zone  so they float about and end up jammed in the back of the float needle valve out of sight 

crafty little sods  ,  breed like rabbits the more you mess the more you make .

they wont be in the chamber   but lodged in the supply line might pay to remove the float valve and clean all .

Pete

20 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

t is unusual ti find the dreaded rubber slivers in the filter they are made when fitting hose to the metal pipework at the carb zone 

Ha!

On the GT6 there is one rubber joint in the rear wheel arch and one as the pipe turns into the engine bay. I have rubber pipe all the way to the metal splitter. So that's 4 rubber to metal joints before the filter, 2 between filter and splitter and 2 between each end of the splitter and carbs. So that's 4 +2+4.

4 before and 6 after. 

There's no escape, they're EVERYWHERE!

image.png.401906972a1cc7865961a33908450927.png

Doug

Hi Guys, I have not had a chance today to reassemble the fuel filter in the car. Hopefully tomorrow.  But I wondered about the fuel pump.  If so much dirt was in the filter, and if tiny slivers of rubber can get through to the carbs, is there any need to take the fuel pump apart and clean it too?  Can it be taken apart at all?  Is there any point? 

Just wondering…..

Thanks.

…..Mick…..

Thanks Pete.  Yeah it has a metal top with a nut in the centre.  I was just afraid that if I opened it, springs and all sorts of intricate parts would fly out all over the place.  But if it is serviceable, I will clean it up as you described.

Thanks.

.....Mick.....

On 23/11/2023 at 14:28, micmak said:

Hi Guys, 

Since I got this car and realized it’s problems, I have suspected fuel starvation.  What I couldn’t understand is how it was ok at times, and really bad at other times.  A few days ago, while increasing the idle to stop the engine from stalling, I noticed the fuel filter was not filled with petrol.  I thought that it should be totally filled at all times, so much so, that you could hardly tell if it was empty or full through the glass.  Today, I decided to take it out.  Little did I know that all the fuel in the tank would puke all over the place, but I managed to get a piece of hose on to the line and stop the hemorrhaging. I lost lots of fuel onto the chassis and onto the floor of the garage.   

And so on to the filter;  It was far from clean.  As you can see in the pics, there was a lot of cloth/fabric-like bits in it, almost like carpet fluff, along with sand-like bits.

In the last pic, you see all the dirt that came out onto a clean white piece of cardboard.  My question now is how do I clean the filter?  I was tempted to literally rinse it out under running water and leave it to dry indoors near a radiator for a day or two before assembling.  Is that good enough?  The filter doesn’t seem to be damaged or dirty beyond a good cleaning.  What should I do?

By the way, I looked at the hose at the top of the tank to see if it was perished as Pete suggested, but it is new looking and in good condition. 

IMG_6485.jpeg

IMG_6486.jpeg

IMG_6489.jpeg

IMG_6488.jpeg

The pipe atthe top of my tank was new and looked ok. However, one of the clamps had distorted it and air was getting in.

8 minutes ago, Wagger said:

The pipe atthe top of my tank was new and looked ok. However, one of the clamps had distorted it and air was getting in.

Wow!   OK, I will take another look in the morning and make sure the clamps are doing their work properly.

Thanks for that.  

…..Mick…..

Well Guys, it feels like the more I work on this little car, the more it likes to play tricks on me.  I reinstalled the fuel filter today.  I opened the pump and the gauze/mesh was clean.  I put it back together and started the car.  It started ok as usual, and as it warmed up, I pushed in the choke.  I didn’t go for a drive as I was covered in petrol after putting the filter back. It was inclined to stall with less choke, so I just let it run on a bit of choke until it was really good n warm. When warmed up, it was still inclined to die with no choke.  I gave it a little more fuel on the bottom jet adjuster of both carbs, and it seemed to idle better.  I had to bring down the idle speed a little.  I reached a point where I felt that it was running quite well.  As I stood there looking at all the throttle and choke linkage, what should I see only drip, drip, drip from the bowl of the LHS carb!!!  Back to square 1!!!  This is what I started this whole thread for; an overflowing carb bowl.  I suppose it is possible that a sliver found its way into the float valve, but I doubt it.  Last time, there was nothing there.  Also last time, it was the same LHS carb.  I suppose I can open it up and see again. Is there any other reason for the carb to dump fuel?  Is the pump too strong?  Perhaps the LHS carb was ok before I adjusted the jet allowing more fuel in?  Perhaps I should turn it back and leave the RHS carb as it is; a little richer?  I might do that tomorrow and see what happens, I dunno.  All I know is that I had had enough when I saw the drips of fuel.  I turned the car off, closed it up, put my tools away and went inside to wash and clean myself up!!!!  Enough for now!

.....Mick.....

I agree with Johny. Are you sure you turned the bottom jet adjuster and not loosened to jet assembly by turning the larger hex nut? However as said there is an O ring that seals the jet assembly to the carb body. Try tightening the large hex nut mot to much as its brass into ali. 

From what you've said enriching the mixture could solve your problem and you just need to sort out the leak. Your so close don't panic or get disheartened. 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

if the needle valve was in trouble then fuel will overflow from the breather port in the front air filter face

if leaks are from below then its chamber  gasket(there are a good few variants of this  get the wrong one and you leak 

most kits have about 5 variants included    often corners are the change in shapes .

any leaks from the brass jet holder or the adjuster are down to failed 0 rings 

Pete

Well, you are both putting doubt in my head!!!!   I don’t think I loosened the jet assembly and I don’t think there is a leak from the o-ring there either.  But it IS possible.  As I said, I'd had enough at that point, so I turned it off and gave up for the day.😆  I will re-examine it tomorrow and see exactly where the fuel drip is coming from.

Thanks for the encouragement, Guys!

.....Mick.....

Sorry dougbgt6 and Pete Lewis.  You both chimed in as I was writing my response to Ian T and johny.    You both raise good, logical points. I don’t know if the fuel is coming from the air filter or not.  I was frustrated and cold and I didn’t care to spend any more time there looking.  I will take a more detailed look tomorrow.

Thanks Guys.

.....Mick.....

38 minutes ago, micmak said:

I don’t think I loosened the jet assembly and I don’t think there is a leak from the o-ring there either.  But it IS possible.

One of my carb float chamber seals weeps. The carbs have been professionally refurbished so it's on my what to do on a boring winter day list. One of my car body jet bores is as rough as a bears a**e and I'm sure the O ring isn't sealing properly. Neither cause a drip leak or anything severe. Any suggestions as to a sealing goo or just replace the seal? 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

@micmakLittle did I know that all the fuel in the tank would puke all over the place, but I managed to get a piece of hose on to the line and stop the hemorrhaging. I lost lots of fuel onto the chassis and onto the floor of the garage.  

When micmak disconnected the fuel pipe from the fuel filter, as mentioned above.

Sorry to butt in,

What method do you suggest to prevent fuel spillage when disconnecting fuel filters?

Would using a plastic bag between fuel filler cap and filler neck create a vacuum and stop any fuel flow?

I plan to change my in-line fuel filter at some stage.

TIA