Is it possible to replace steering column bush with steering wheel in place?

CarlM

I have 13/60 saloon, that needs the top steering column bush replaced. Trouble is that the steering wheel nut is well and truly tight. Before going to ask friendly garage to help with a bit more leverage, I was laterally thinking if there was enough room to remove the inner column with steering wheel still attached? Then remove outer column, replace bush and refit in the reverse way. Just wondered if anyone else had done it that way.

Yes, unplug the column switch wiring, unbolt the coupling near the bulkhead that holds the steering shaft inside the car to the one that projects into the engine bay, the U shape mount just next to that, then the mount just below the dash. Then you can take the wheel, inner and outer column out as one unit.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Josef said:

Yes, unplug the column switch wiring, unbolt the coupling near the bulkhead that holds the steering shaft inside the car to the one that projects into the engine bay, the U shape mount just next to that, then the mount just below the dash. Then you can take the wheel, inner and outer column out as one unit.

Thanks Josef, I can certainly try that. Didn’t think of that, I would have followed Haynes otherwise, which is fine until something is unwilling to come apart or home garage tools won’t budge it!

i am surprised a good pull on a socket wrench  wont shift the nut  seem to remember two AF sizes  15/16" or 1.1/8 " get someone  to hold the wheel firmly

as you apply the torque or you just wind up the steering with lost effort .

then a real good wiggle /waggle on the handwheel to free it off the splines ,and you end up sitting in the back with a wheel in your hands 

so it pays to spin the nut on a couple of turns .

torque on refitting is only 28-30 lbft    ( just a light hand tight )  no gorilla   hands here 

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis