Dash mounted rear view mirror

Sammy

If I was to do this, I’d probably make something that fitted snugly, or fastened, into the ashtray hole on the top of the dash and mount to that. For the actual mirror, I seem to remember big Healeys had dash mounted ones so places focussed on spares supply for those might be an idea.

I was just about to ask that!! I used one of the clip-on wider mirrors for many years, clips over the top of the original, far better than the small OE version. It's also possible to use a period mirror from other makes with the same ball-attachment as the original, only larger or broader. Screw one off, screw one on.

However if it's purely for looks or if you really need a dash-mounted version, Holden do a good range of period styles and plenty of dash-mounted versions:

https://www.holden.co.uk/c/hardware/mirrors

On a MkIV / 1500 you can presumably get a wider, or even dipping, mirror as supplied with the latest 1500s and a sun visor set to match if there is interference. I’d guess the same could be made to fit earlier cars if you were so inclined.

No that personally I replaced the sun visors on my Mk3 as I didn’t feel they were much use!

Thanks everyone for your responses. I’m new to Spitfire ownership and I’m grateful. When I purchased my car back in May last year it didn’t have a rear view mirror - or sun visors - fitted. Neither bother me to be honest, and my preference for a dash mounted mirror is purely aesthetic. 
I’ve since purchased a chrome mirror from SVC, which also features on the Holden site. I’m hoping it can be fixed to the ashtray (I’m certainly not prepared to butcher the dash), so it can simply be lifted out - still attached to the ashtray - to enable the tonneau to be fitted (using a spare ashtray with the two fixtures as normal). 
The car is booked in with TR Bitz next week for a service, general  health check and SS exhaust fit. I’ll explore the feasibility of fitting the mirror at the same time. 
Thanks again for the responses.