Tunnel Cover - Spitfire 1500 Gearbox

Michael Watts

the plastic is a bit more robust than the FG type 

to seal just use / glue a strip of foam (ive used strips of a slab from dunelm) the seal sold by most is silly price and hopeless.

it doesnt have to be closed cell (best) and you can make it thick easy to compress and seals all the old floor undulations very cheaply 

Pete

I've spent days wrestling with my Herald 1200 fibreglass cover. A PO had installed it with extra screws, drilled holes in the wrong place but so close to the right place and to the edge that so the only option was to enlarge them and risk splitting the fibreglass. They also failed to trim it so it didn't bind against the bulkhead. Leaks all round into the footwells too as rain leaves the heater box plenum and dribbles down the bulkhead. I trimmed it significantly and forced it into place with some closed-cell neoprene foam strip stuck on to the cover with CT1 and it appears to have stopped the leaks. A nightmare to install though, and trying to get all the screw holes to line up. If you're starting from scratch I think you'd have a much better chance of getting the holes in the right place. On the Herald the three top front screws are supposed to be installed from the engine side of the bulkhead originally. Perhaps the Spitfire is the same if you find it very awkward to fit. I understand the plastic type is a better shape than the fibreglass.

DSCF5908.JPG

Agreed my Vitesse UK produced FG cover had terrible flanges not flat nor wide enough to get the hold down screws in, but the Spitfire was better moulded with no bottom flange screws required the H anti scuttle frame clamps the FG flange onto the floor pan flanges & all seals well. 

I have the plastic one, there's an extra "flange" on the bottom which makes it stand a little higher, some grind it off, but it seems to stiffen the whole structure so I didn't. Don't buy the fitting kit, draught excluder will do fine for the seal and you already have the strange washers shown above. I didn't re-use them, self tappers and large washers work as well and simpler to install. Cut a hole to gain access to the gearbox top up is a good idea.

Doug

I fitted a plastic tunnel to my GT6 which fitted well and used the original fittings, with screws /large washers to replace any missing fittings. The screw I purchased from a local fittings supplier. I would image that fibre glass tunnels may have uneven flanges due to the nature of there construction.

I was impressed with fitting of the tunnel in the GT6.

Graham

Shame nobody's remade them in the original card type material. The one on my mk3 Spit is still usable 50+ years on, plyable, dense matetial, naturally  sound deadening, and fit.  Repaired them in the past on a Vitesse and on another Spit with PVA glue/newspaper papier mache. If anyone still has their original don't throw it if it's cracked/ broken, its straight forward to repair.