Triumph GT6 Water-Pump Housing

SpitFire6

Hi,
Many years ago I made my housing with an external EWP & external three-port thermostat. The hoses looked kak but worked well until the JB-Weld failed after 2-3 years. Went back to the standard water pump & 88 thermostat.
The Electric Water Pump (EWP) had a problem with the heater flow as the return of the heater had to be before EWP was a mess.

My original post is because my coolant temperature is less than 80 at a high vehicle speed with an 88 stat. I also wanted to add a 300-watt coolant preheater.

Thanks,

Iain.

new water pump housing.JPG

16 minutes ago, SpitFire6 said:

my coolant temperature is less than 80 at a high vehicle speed with an 88 stat

then either the stat is opening too early/ not shutting correctly or the temperature sensor is under-reading (unless the outside temp is very low and rad too big)

11 minutes ago, johny said:

And youre getting that temperature with a standard radiator and at what ambient temp Iain?

Hi,
Golf GTI radiator. Temperature is monitored on CanBus. It's also the 2nd sensor as thought it might be faulty!
Cheers,
Iain.

4 minutes ago, DanMi said:

then either the stat is opening too early/ not shutting correctly or the temperature sensor is under-reading (unless the outside temp is very low and rad too big)

Hi,
It's the 3rd thermostat I have fitted over the last few years (88c). The last one is the proper one with metal/plastic jiggle? pin. I bought it from Mini Sport as it was cheap and a 5-minute walk from my house.
Cheers,

Iain.

I wonder then if the jiggle pin allows too much through. I found that when I put a pattern stat in my old diesel Jaguar, it never reached the correct temp. replaced with a genuine Ford one, which had more like a one way valve and temp perfect after that, it appeared that the small flow past the jiggle pin was enough to cool the engine.

13 hours ago, johny said:

Sounds like you might need the old radiator blind remedy. In fact I believe some moderns are getting auto ones nowadays but dont know if thats just to keep heat in after stopping...

Our diesel Freelander hasn't heated up fully since Monday, sitting slightly below normal due to the cold. It takes quite a few miles before the gauge even moves, and of course there's no heater until then, so a blind might be an idea. I could pinch an old Herald one...