Triumph GT6 Water-Pump Housing

SpitFire6

I looked into this as the manual drawing is confusing. Unlike later designs the flow through the head is held back by the thermostat until hot enough to open it so when cold the only flow is through the manifold (and heater if selected) and back to the pump...

Hi Johny,
my bypass is from the rear of the head through the heater to the suction point of the pump. It can never be throttled.
I never saw a need to be able to control flow through the heater so I deleted the valve and control decades ago. I use the cabin heater blower-fan to control heat.
So the pump housing has a port between the inlet & outlet?

Cheers,
iain.

No, on mine (MK1 Vitesse) the water comes into the pump suction from the radiator and heater/manifold return and leaves through a port into the head and also a connection via hose to the manifold/heater. From the former it passes through the head/block it comes back to the housing where its stopped by the thermostat until it opens. Yours is obviously slightly different as it allows some circulation through the engine while warming up...

Yes the issue is complicated by the fact that later cars (Dolomite 1850 etc) have double acting thermostats so that coolant is circulated round the engine during warm up and then switched over to the radiator. Even so I cant see why there would be a port between pump inlet and outlet as this would just be a waste - its minimum flow is always maintained using the path through the manifold....

On my Vitesse I found the diagram in the manual to be wrong. Heres the housing with the left port discharging from the pump into the cylinder head so that it returns to the right hand port where it enters the chamber below the thermostat. Here its held back until the thermostat opens although some can flow out through the small pipe connection to the manifold and heater. The pump suction at the bottom has tow entries, the main from the radiator and the other is the return from the manifold and heater.

I think this arrangement is entirely logical as with the thermostat closed theres a small flow through the engine that is used to warm the manifold as soon as possible to reduce choke usage while also warming the thermostat to ensure it opens correctly... 

image.thumb.png.1555e81975556557b865a3802d8ec2bb.png

• Thanks 1

I've just been sandblasting one of those housings so had to nip out and get some quite dusty photos.

The water pump rotation propels the coolant into the chamber on the right (front view) along the head and back out into the housing, where it drains through a small hole back into the system again. Once the thermostat opens it also exits via the pipe in the housing, through the thermostat and so through the radiator, and is drawn back up from the radiator bottom hose to recirculate again. I assume the small hole is to restrict the flow to make sure the majority goes round the radiator. The heater circuit works off the long pipe and the hose take-off but the flow there too is controlled by the thermostat ie car / head warms up first before anyone else gets heat.

IMG_7237.thumb.jpeg.792df231c2ed59768942c427096779c0.jpeg  IMG_7235.thumb.jpeg.6cc15543408539ddd93f18abc1a07f65.jpeg

Edited by Colin Lindsay
trying to work out left from right
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The water pump rotation propels the coolant into the chamber on the right (front view) along the head and back out into the housing, where it drains through a small hole back into the system again. Once the thermostat opens it also exits via the pipe in the housing, through the thermostat and so through the radiator, and is drawn back up from the radiator bottom hose to recirculate again. I assume the small hole is to restrict the flow to make sure the majority goes round the radiator. The heater circuit works off the long pipe and the hose take-off but the flow there too is controlled by the thermostat ie car / head warms up first before anyone else gets heat.

IMG_7237.thumb.jpeg.792df231c2ed59768942c427096779c0.jpeg  IMG_7235.thumb.jpeg.6cc15543408539ddd93f18abc1a07f65.jpeg

Thanks Colin. I see now that little hole is for some other purpose - does it go to the temperature sender?

Edited by johny

Thinking about it I reckon the hole goes to the pump suction so that coolant circulates through the engine even with the thermostat closed. On mine the manifold/heater does the same thing but I suppose this gives an added measure of security....

Don't forget that early cars such as MK1 spitfire don't have a heated manifold and the heater was an optional extra, so that hole is definitely needed then to get the water moving before the thermostat opens. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, johny said:

Thanks Colin. I see now that little hole is for some other purpose - does it go to the temperature sender?

No, it just drains back into the main system; sender unit sits above. I suspect it's the same as the oil circulation; only a percentage goes round at any one time and the rest drains back.

Hi all,
Yes, that is the little port I thought I had noticed last time I changed the housing.

I am not sure what it does when the thermostat is closed but when the stat is open it must allow some cooled coolant to bypass the head/heater?
Cheers,
Iain.

Dont think so Iain, what would be the purpose? I think the flow is a bypass of the thermostat/radiator and it goes from engine coolant discharge directly to pump intake (the centre area behind the impellor)...

• Like 1

Water needs to be moving even before the thermostat opens to prevent boiling at the hottest places, so there must be a route for the circulation, which this hole would allow. Not all Triumphs have heated manifolds and the heater can be off, yet this is a common design/part.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, johny said:

Isnt that the hole Ive marked here? If so it looks as if it could go directly into the pump suction chamber under the thumb shown...

image.png.126dcf3870d908b1b8761154b21b9e6e.png

Hi Johny,
Are there two ports in the housing? One at the top & one at the bottom as shown in your picture?

Thanks,
Iain

Think all the photos so far show just one which is viewed looking down in through the thermostat housing or from the back through the engine return port where the same hole is more difficult to see as indicated by my arrow. If we had one Im 90% certain a piece of wire pushed down through the hole would appear in the centre recess of the impellor well (the suction inlet) as shown here...

image.thumb.png.29849d8ae391c3b953ebbfb75550cdec.png

Hi Johny, et al.
Thanks.
So the small single port/tube connects the outlet from the head back to the suction side of the pump. If there is never an external flow out of the head, circulation is ensured through the head via this port?

Cheers,
Iain.

Correct and its good news for me as Ive installed an isolating valve in the external hose that goes to the manifold and heater. My idea was that in hot climates theres no need for either so instead I could maximise flow through the radiator for improved cooling. Now with the port I can see that on start up the pump and engine still has a minimum flow👍 

• Like 1