Piston

stebec

Help needed, I have just rebuilt my twin HS4 carbs, on one of them if I manually lift the piston, it wont drop down back onto the bridge, the other piston will, any ideas what i have done wrong?

Steve

you need to slacken the big jet retaining nut  this allows the needle to self centre 

when the piston is fully dropped , then re nip the nut   

this is more for fixed needles  , do also check the needle is not bent .

retest it drops ok ,

being a 1500  many  HS4 have biased needles these only fit one way round on the locating screw this makes sticking far less likely   and the lack of drop may just be the slide is sticking

give it a good clean or very light abrasion .

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

I have just checked the new needle code number and the are ABT the old needle code is AAR will this cause a problem? also is this collar for the needle supposed to have this lip on the top?

Sorry about all the questions but I'm new to the classic car world

17057538061661455560932720116211.jpg

yes the lip is what the needle flange pivots against  there should be a small spring that holds on the top of the needle head

as far as i see ABT is the std  needle  from 1974 to 1979

are you running pancake air filters or any non std stuff  like exhaust etc.

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

well thats the rub  with KN and a 4-2-1  you need possibly richer needles and maybe stronger piston springs 

or its will run far too lean .

many buy these must haves and that generates the headaches once you leave the triumph 

design spec  you are into guesswork .

??? why did you buy a replacement needle ???

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

1 hour ago, stebec said:

have just checked the new needle code number and the are ABT the old needle code is AAR will this cause a problem?

I think the AAR needles are slightly thinner hence will give a richer mixture than ABT. Perhaps the previous owner used the AARs to compensate for the pancakes and your tubular manifold will also require a richer mixture. Playing around with needles, damper oils and damper spring rates has aged and frustrated me over the last 2 years! 

Iain