movement of steering wheel/column Vitesse mk2

I've been looking at changing the steering wheel on my Vitesse , I've noticed that the wheel and shaft move in and out  5-6 mm . Nut is tight on the column and the wheel is tight on the shaft. Is this usual? Steering feels fine and there doesn't seem to be any excessive play in the column. Thanks

Jerry

in /out movement can be due to worn UJ bushes or even the clamp of the shaft to the rack is loose

its unlikely to be a loose rack that would be extreme

so have alook at the UJ hidden under the suspension turret and the split clamp shaft to rack security

for the UJ  you can fit new bushes or even fit a one piece modern UJ and check the horn earth is intact at the same time 

any  up and down is common thats time for a renewed tube bush and some of the new are worse than the old 

Pete

Just had a quick look, wont have time to look at more today. I can see the lower end of the column moving in the connecting knuckle joint. Could it be as simple as tightening the clamp bolt? Is it worth replacing the knuckle with a UJ type?, either way it looks to be awkward to get at!

very likely the UJ clamp isnt fully tightened as the access is so poor. It wont come apart, well not unless the bolt comes completely undone and falls out😲

If theres no play in transmitting the turning action then no need to replace it just check all tight, lock wire in place and earth strap good...

57 minutes ago, Larfin Frog said:

Is it worth replacing the knuckle with a UJ type

Beware of UJ replacements as most are of terrible quality. I threw my new UJ in the bin as it didn't grip the spline. Keep your original joint and if required replace the rubbers. Someone supplies the parts in kit form, Superflex? 

Iain 

2 hours ago, Iain T said:

There's a steering column 'safety' joint by the pedals check that that is correctly installed and tightened. 

Iain 

Yes  just below the outer tube is a flat clamp plate that allows the column to collapse under impact 

this has a grub screw in the centre to grip but allow slide and there is a simple setting  best read the manual 

there could be some shift if its a bit slack .

Pete

3 hours ago, Iain T said:

Beware of UJ replacements as most are of terrible quality. I threw my new UJ in the bin as it didn't grip the spline. Keep your original joint and if required replace the rubbers. Someone supplies the parts in kit form, Superflex? 

Iain 

I brought my Superflex from a UK supplier and even with UK to Aus postage it was cheaper than buying direct from Superflex here in Aus GO FIGURE!

Make sure you get the bolts that tighten the splines tight there located into a groove halfway along the spline and a bug$$r to tighten with access limited by the front suspension turrent the Spitfire took a couple of attempts to tighten up hard you could feel some slack but it was safe it wouldn’t slip round on the splines or pull out just felt like the steering wheel was loose ie pulled up/down a little.

I would use the Superflex insulators again a lot more professional than my DIY rubber grommet originals

Managed to get the merest of turns of the nut which seems to have had the desired effect. The car is in a very tight garage with limited access, when I get the time I'll get her out and up on stands to give it a better go to make sure, but hopefully its sorted!

Thanks