Spitfire Mk3 Column Light Switch Connections

Jonah

Thanks Johny, that’s  going to need a few coats of thinking about! 

the next point up the supply should only be the fuse connection itself , unless there’s some wiring mod done over the years

54 minutes ago, johny said:

I think the lights all working ok Dan except flash so brown/red to blue/white good and failure is purple to brown to blue/white....

You are correct, photo is a little confusing as to which wire goes where when they cross. 

If the voltage drops to zero when flash is pulled I would check for loose/dirty connections in the purple feed

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, johny said:

So not the purple to brown connector? It could be the fuse assembly itself even though the same fuse probably supplies other things...

The same fuse supplies the horns so if they work the fuse connection is OK

progress 

Took the fuse out, put it back and now the flash works…….but no horn!

theres 12v at the relay on the purple wire from the fuse, now to check the steering column connections 

First make sure the fuse is a real good contact as the horns also draw quite a current and wont work without a good voltage. You can try the volt drop test again at the relay supply purple wire when pushing the horn button...

The connections at the back of the fuse box where the wires connectseem suspect 

mum also going to check the earth through the steering column to the rack, seems to much of a coincidence when I’ve just changed the rack 

19 hours ago, johny said:

This is getting difficult as 'swopping brown leads'? Theres only one brown coming from the column switch

That's me thinking out loud again; I was studying the photo but it was confusing with the brown / red and the brown looking so similar - I can't see the red strip on one. As long as you can see yourself that it's connected properly then that's not the problem. Might be the switch, then.

Lights working fine now but horn not

there’s no earth connection at the steering wheel via the rack, I put a temporary  earth link to the coupling with the rack and we have a horn!

I’ve just changed the steering rack and the car has a new style coupling without the earth strap, the horn worked with the previous rack and I can’t see where this different 

the normal rack sits on rubber mounts and any chance the u bolts earth with all the grott that collects is unlikely 

some earth the rack to the front engine plate 

i have seen a sprung contact thats bolted to the bulkhead and rubs on a cleaned bit of the steering shaft to bypass all the uj and rack earth problems 

Pete

I think that mine is going to one of the mount bolts for the radiator frame but any body earth point will work. It wouldn't earth through the U bolts without a lead as the rack is insulated by the rubber bushes (unless you have solid rack mounts)

I think the original earth connection was from the Grease nipple/bolt item 35 on this still to the underside of the Steering Rack 'U' Clamp Item 53/55 nuts.

Like Pete says, you need to make sure there is a clean connection to the chassis with the Clamp/Nut, or alternatively use a one of the bolts on the Engine 

Gary  

triumph-vitesse-steering.jpg

Edited by Gary Flinn

The chassis has been coated with epoxy so probably provides an awful earth connection 

I’ll try a strap from the grease nipple/bolt to another good earth point

ill download the manual also and will report back 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your encyclopaedic knowledge and insightful  comments, thanks to you I now have working lights and horn

one connection into the fuse holder was loose against a fuse which now tightened has given me light 

after changing the steering rack putting an earth strap between the drain plug and an engine mounting bolt has produced a welcome sound from the horn 

thank you once again 

• Like 1