Body Tub Spread - Fixed

Paul H

Finally got round to correcting body tub spread on the passenger side of my Vitesse saloon . The overhang at the base of the door was 5mm. 
I used a spare seatbelt folded in 2 and joined with 2 plates and securing bolts . The ringed end bolted in place using the existing top seatbelt bolt in the rear passenger area. The other end (plated ) bolted and replacing the door catch. 

IMG_0607.thumb.jpeg.afa2e4c8c3a509a6a7788dba24b9db4b.jpeg

The lower seat belt securing bolt on the drivers side was removed ( inertia belt setup) and replaced by original ring bolt.

The ratchet setup is rated at 2 tonnes and although the process was scary with groaning and creaking it worked and the passenger door is now flush with the body . The whole process took less than 1hr . Should have done it years ago 

IMG_0601.thumb.jpeg.725add5328364b976b0bc0a3dc7a4da3.jpeg

I checked the seatbelt webbing after the big pull and it was still intact with no movement at either plate so can be used again. 

Paul 

Edited by Paul H
  • Like 1

That's a great result, there are so many Herald/Vitesse models with this issue and it really spoils the look from the rear with sticking out doors!

Have you any before and after photos?

Have you any idea what causes tub spread, I was told it was when the rear Boot Outriggers are rotted out.

Gary

Edited by Gary Flinn

1 hour ago, Gary Flinn said:

That's a great result, there are so many Herald/Vitesse models with this issue and it really spoils the look from the rear with sticking out doors!

Have you any before and after photos?

Have you any idea what causes tub spread, I was told it was when the rear Boot Outriggers are rotted out.

Gary

Interesting thought?, My feeling is that failed outriggers would be more likely to affect the Boot spreading?. With the tub effectively confined by being bolted to the top of the rear suspension unlikely to affect the tub at the door openings?. Tub spread is in my view more likely as a function of weakening of the sill/B post area due to corrosion?. Or poor repair?.

Either way, opens up a nice "can o worms" for debate?

Pete

• Like 1

Cars on the Mk 1 chassis have additional support at the front of the boot outriggers.

They don't suffer from tub spread.

I believe carrying heav loads in the boot (enginse) is the cause.  Who'sd one that?

C.

ive said many times putting a 50 yr old wonky body on a 50 yr old wonky chassis 

using vast numbers of solid spacer packing on each rubber pad to get the tubs to align then

make up a contraption to pull the B post/wing tops inboard to cure tub spread is pretty normal 

when the base of the doors are proud  to the B post 

its not a ventilation aid !!!!

Pete