Wood Alternator 16001 17 ACR - LRA100- HDGR011357 37 Amp

Hi!  Has anyone come across this WoodALT 16001?  I have a chance of a Brand New Unit(Cracked end Plastic Cover) with fitting kit?  Will this fit my 1600/6 KYK 711D Please?

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by martyn wright
picture update

• martyn wright changed the title to Wood Alternator 16001 17 ACR - LRA100- HDGR011357 37 Amp
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, martyn wright said:

Hi!  Has anyone come across this WoodALT 16001?  I have a chance of a Brand New Unit(Cracked end Plastic Cover) with fitting kit?  Will this fit my 1600/6 KYK 711D Please?

Hi!  It comes with a Fitting Kit as the person needed it for his Mk2 Vitesse but it got sent back due to it being damaged!  I was checking to see if it has enought power(34amps) to run a Radio plus??  It says that to fit Triumph on the ebay check list??

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Edited by martyn wright

That looks like a pretty common Lucas 17ACR alternator that has either been reconditioned and or reboxed as Wood. It'll power a radio + lights etc fine. I swapped my dynamo for a Lucas ACR17 on my Vit. You'll either need an alternator mounting bracket from a Spit 4+ tensioner or you can adapt the dynamo bracket. As Wagger says you might have to swap the pulley.

Mechanically, just make sure that the pulley aligns with the others. You may need a different tensioning arm if you cannot modify it. It will be trial and error with belt length. I did mine in two hours and followed the instructions that came with the kit wrt connections to the Voltage Regulator box.

Electrically, the original Dynamo for a 1600/6 was 25 amps. Most of the alternators can deliver at least 40 amps.

When you have succeeded in fitting it, turn everything on with the engine doing about 2000 rpm and measure the voltage across the battery. It should read 13.2 to 14.5 volts.

Check the temperature of the thick wire that connects to the alternator. If it is too hot to hold, replace it with wire of about 1.5 times the thickness.

You may choose to fit a different fuse box at some future date. That can help with current sharing and fault finding.

Do not fit higher rated fuses than those originally fitted unless you uprate the wiring.

how ever you fit/align it is most important the tubular bush in the rear lug is positioned to be equally spaced either side of the lug   this allows shift due to heat expansion 

get it wrong and you will break the rear lug off 

dump the regulator and just use a higher grade wire direct from alt to the solenoid

just join  (small) the warning lamp wires from the regulator together to use the orig warning lamp 

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Johny!  There is nothing wrong with my Dynamo!  I wanted to fit a Alternator and this one came along complete with Fitting Kit and its brand new!  From someone who purchased it from Rimmers for his Vitesse and it had a small crack on the plastic case!  I paid £80 all in?  I had problems tho with the Flasher unit, they didnt tell me it was actually set up for Neg vehicles until the Auto Elec arrived to sort some lighting and Loom problems?  He took it apart and changed it over to Pos!   I want a Radio Fitted and Electronic Ignition lol!  So will change the whole car over to Neg earth!  Also to add to the fire, The Wiring Loom Diagram I had off ebay when I fitted the Loom was also for a Negative Vehicle?? unknown to me!  But Thanks for the offer!  I just need the correct wiring diagram from the Alternator to where it needs to go, so was looking on ebay ?  Cheers martyn

I like my dynamo and its clunky regulator box as its another thing that separates it from modern vehicles so then at shows I can enthrall spectators with descriptions of how it all works🤣