Haydn, ex Herald owner

Please help find a past lost love, 'Primrose' was my 1964 green Triumph Herald reg 406EBX, sold in 1988 to a member of the TSSC (South Wales) branch who said it was a present for his wife!            Primrose then disappears from all records☹️, there is no record of her being scrapped, taxed or mot'd

If anyone knows what has become of her I would dearly love to know and hopefully be re united

Thanks Haydn

DVLA says that the tax was due 1 April 1988, and last V5 issued 1 July 1987.

Some things to bear in mind :

1. This predates the need to declare SORN - SORN came in in 1997.

2. This predates the automatic expiry of car tax on change of keeper, so when sold, the new keeper got the balance of the tax remaining.

3. This predates the time when scrapped vehicles were removed from the DVLA computer.

4. This predates the online MOT records.

5. This predates details of vehicles being exported being recorded as exported on the DVLA system (ignore the "export marker")

Therefore, its possible that :

a) you sold it in at the end of June, 1st July 1987, with 9 months road tax remaining. 

b) The new owner drove it until the tax expired and then scrapped.

c) The new owner drove it until the tax expired and then put it in a barn where it has remained ever since. 

d) The new owner exported it and its running about somewhere in a foreign country

It is sad when you cannot find your old car. My first (a Riley 1.5) went grass track racing when I sold it in 1971. Both of my 1600/6 Vitesses were beyond the capabilities of most when sold in 1976.

On 05/03/2024 at 10:15, Wagger said:

It is sad when you cannot find your old car. 

For many years it was rare that I sold a car that was useable. My first one died on the forecourt in front of me as I drove off in a trade-in, gallons of water pouring out of the engine in a cloud of steam. Second one was written off on a bend, third one was a cut and shut bought in a hurry to replace the second. It was only my fourth that was bought by someone and driven to death in six months, and I saw it on the road again covered in dents and with a replacement rear door after it left me in a highly polished state. 

Even my first Spitfire was written off by the new owner a few months after purchase.

I sold my rebuilt really quick modified 1275 Mini in 1985, it disappeared of the records in 1986. I often wonder what happened to it, maybe due to rubbish MK 1 Cooper discs that were worse than drums for fade.

S