My Favourite Commer is up for sale

Here you go the Ecurrie Ecosse Commer is up for sale again 

in 2013 she made over £8m

Image 8 of 15

if you look at the gallery the red gear knob shows she was fitted with a 6 speed gearbox 

I tried to get Dick (previous owner ) to fit a two speed axle which would really change the performance 

but we never achieved that , the orig 3D199 engine was swapped to a later 3D215 in the late 90s 

1960 Commer TS3 Ecurie Ecosse for Sale | FISKENS

and for the sounds of a TS3 3D199  of the same vintage 

Pete   

Edited by Pete Lewis

This too is an interesting Video.

40+ years ago, I sailed on Several Ships with Doxford Oposed piston Engines, The first (prototype) was built 1913.

3 Cyl, Version: to give some idea of what they are.

image.jpeg.9c061766a2f3a2513ec8c9b3333027ac.jpeg

Pete

Edited by PeteH

Posted (edited)

it was the TS4 that was cancelled by silly chrysler they had invested far too much into cummins

Vale range of noisey crap engines we were at i think chobham test track with a cummins and a TS4

wich really trashed the cummins so embarrassing  it signed the death nell for the commer unit 

they were ordered to scrap the 16 runners   4 were secreted away one is running in NZ

they used same cyinders and added one more so around 286 in  and 240 bhp from memory(long faded)

being involved with pre production testing it was quite normal for a 16ton TS3 to 

get 18/24 mpg   which is still astonishing 

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

6 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

get 18/24 mpg   which is still astonishing 

It is. I had always thought 2 strokes (not sure about diesel ones?) were generally more thirsty than 4 strokes?.

What a lovely truck. My secondary school was on a main road that then climbed up. 60's Foden 2 strokes used to drop a gear and howl up the hill, what a sound 

i drove her out of Silverstone back to Tring    with 2 jags and ERA4b on board , valued a £5 m (1997) 

it was hard not to get carried away down the M4 at around 60mph 

we (now being Renault)  sent a TS3 over to the Berliet collection as they were interested 

happy days 

Pete