I found my missing horses!

Roger

Just a short follw-up on my previous posts about lack of power and valve timing. The valve timing was indeed way out with lack of power as a result. And it was not one or two teeth out, it was much more than that. I estimate that the valve timing was at least 7-8 teeth wrong. I can not for my life understand that the engine even started and run at all. I took it for a short run in Mariehamn today, my son took a short video from back seat. Unfortunately there is an annoying metallic clattering from the engine, sounds like a very worn bearing. I will adjust the valves tonight but I doubt that it is the root cause.

Not sure if you can hear the knocking noice from the engine, but let me know if you know what it is 🙂

45 minutes ago, Ian Faulds said:

Speedo cable ticking?

I have an annoying tick at around 60+mph. I've tracked down most culprits and now think it is speedo or cable related. The speedo is stable so I'll unscrew the cable at the dizzy and see.

Iain

Thanks for all suggestions! I found the problem. I adjusted valve clearance by the book but apparently I did not torque one of the locknuts properly. Valve No 2 had a clearance of about one centimeter, and the locknut was lying on the cylinder head. Runs smooth and quiet now (well, quiet as a Triumph engine....). I had a narrow window of opportunity to test drive without snow at the moment, it will soon get cold again. Happy days!

• Like 3