Gt6 mk3 exhaust hanging at angle

gt6j

Hello could anyone shed light on back box hanger type for gt6 mk3 please. Have replaced wheelbarrow system from the manifold but my back box looks well quite wonky now. Have tried to wiggle everything to get the final connection at the diff higher but this is as high as I could get it.

question would be - does the back box sit quite low normally (what height from ground) and do the tips almost touch the lower panel or should there be more of a gap to let it hang lower and more level?. I’ve just put a bolt and rubber pad through final hanger hole but do have a rectangular piece of rubber with two holes in it and wondered if that should be used to let it hang down a bit lower. All other pics I can find seem to have a more level backbox. 

IMG_1180.jpeg

IMG_1179.jpeg

IMG_1175.jpeg

IMG_1173.jpeg

IMG_1176.jpeg

Hi GTJ,

Triumph GT6 mk3 has famously only a 4.5" ground clearance on the lowest point of the exhaust. I have a long and boring story regarding speed bums at my daughter's wedding.

Here are some regular rear ends. I think you're a bit high on the driver's side?

image.thumb.png.4b50b8efe48d01d3012cfc4f268b2b86.png

image.png.9e4cce02610efe9d359f3a39ee8b7ff0.png

image.thumb.png.763b6d14996451e7b06351314531524a.png

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6

It looks like you have the more expensive sport back box which being smaller doesnt have the second support shown here on the standard item. To straighten yours up I can only think of putting and additional hanger from the diff to the centre pipe as is used on Vitesse and Heralds...

image.png.a4800c95acdacff1dd0519c72a84ee04.png

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Hi GTJ,

Triumph GT6 mk3 has famously only a 4.5" ground clearance on the lowest point of the exhaust. I have a long and boring story regarding speed bums at my daughter's wedding.

Here are some regular rear ends. I think you're a bit high on the driver's side?

image.thumb.png.4b50b8efe48d01d3012cfc4f268b2b86.png

image.png.9e4cce02610efe9d359f3a39ee8b7ff0.png

image.thumb.png.763b6d14996451e7b06351314531524a.png

Doug

Cheers Doug sure it isn’t that boring a story! some nice cars there weirdly not seen many other gt6s to compare rears but that makes sense with the 4.5” then. The wheelbarrow was up high in comparison to what I’ve got now. Have bottomed out a few times in dips! 

3 hours ago, johny said:

It looks like you have the more expensive sport back box which being smaller doesnt have the second support shown here on the standard item. To straighten yours up I can only think of putting and additional hanger from the diff to the centre pipe as is used on Vitesse and Heralds...

image.png.a4800c95acdacff1dd0519c72a84ee04.png

Thanks Johnny yes only one hanger hole on the back box and the diff hanger is on the middle section at the mo. Going to take a look at lowering the tips down with other bracket I think did think it looked too low but if 4.5” is th clearance as std then may be normal. This back box is the phoenix sports one fairly similar in volume to the straight thru wheelbarrow that was on before and standard pipe from manifold. The middle silencer section was a tight fit did bend the chassis rails down a bit to get that in but just angle of b back got me thinking. Thanks!

Is it possible to get the back box a bit further to the right so that its mount meets the body bracket as I dont like the existing fixing much? There should be a rubber hanger strip between the two or maybe you could just uses a rubber spacer and a bolt straight through so its held more rigidly. Either way a second support is essential just in case that body bracket breaks...

Definitely needs to come over a bit more, when I had it loose it wouldn’t as the middle silencer is holding it just shy of where it should be, think a slightly off front section angle  is causing that. The diff mount does hold the box up when it’s all unbolted and the hanger looks ready to fail but I think (hope) it’s stronger than it looks! Will try some more rubber or something else in there

Unfortunately it looks to be made more difficult by the design of the the sports unit as its inlet pipe seems to be straight instead of having the dog leg of the original. Cant believe how theyve got it so wrong although I see its the same one sold for both Mk2 and 3 while the original is different for each model... 

image.png.bb35a15569ae4e3d41a4353686626ad7.png

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

Can't get underneath to confirm fixing points at the moment but this is my tail pipe:

IMG_20240331_104822330.jpg

Thanks yes that looks like the standard with two hanging points to secure it level. Be interested to see what the final fastener is, ie a bolt with a bracket or a rubber piece etc. I’m getting fumes through the boot, but less than with the center exhaust now, still can’t work out where they are coming in from. Keen to know if there’s a cure for this for anyone who has suffered similar

I have the six jacked up with the wheels off so here are two photos showing the hangers at each end of the tail pipe silencer. Top picture is driver's side. This looks very like that shown in a previous post for a Spitfire 1500 exhaust.

IMG_20240405_145501978_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240405_145555299_HDR.jpg

Edited by Stratton Jimmer
Additional information added.
  • Thanks 1

Yes to fix GT6J's sports box I think I would use a strip of 25mm x 3mm steel to make a bracket attached to the inlet pipe with a U clamp and running towards the rear of the car. Then hang it with a rubber strap from that standard inboard mounting point....  

• Like 1

You have the semi sport back box as shown in johny's post:

On 28/03/2024 at 18:41, johny said:

Unfortunately it looks to be made more difficult by the design of the the sports unit as its inlet pipe seems to be straight instead of having the dog leg of the original. Cant believe how theyve got it so wrong although I see its the same one sold for both Mk2 and 3 while the original is different for each model... 

image.png.bb35a15569ae4e3d41a4353686626ad7.png

I have had the same on my GT6 Mk3 for many years. Yours is too high on the right of the car because the present mounting arrangement on the tail pipes is too short. The correct mount is a rubber strap, attached to a bracket under the boot floor. The correct mount will level up the silencer box and give more clearance between the tail pipes and the lip on the rear valance. The rubber strap is part number 158575 on the diagram johnny posted. 

The lack of a mounting on the other end of the semi sport box has never been a problem on my car. Fit the correct mounting strap to the tail pipes and all should be well. 

Nigel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1