Fuse Box

coxy123

On my 1978 Spitfire there is only 2 fuses, the 3rd has a broken holder and at some point in its past it has been replaced with a loop wire and an in-line fuse. All the electrics work correctly,

My question is, is it worth it and how hard is it to replace the fuse box.

Replacing the fusebox like for like is very tricky. Mainly as the wiring  loom runs through a hole in it.

One way of fixing it is to replace with a Mini fusebox and the existing wire terminals (which double up as the fuse holders) are replaced with 1/4" spade connectors. Or indeed a bigger fusebox as above. And if feeling good about that, add a few relays......

"Mainly as the wiring  loom runs through a hole in it."

Not on mine, my wiring connects to the back of the box and once the box is unscrewed from the bulkhead it and the attached loom can be pulled a good 4 to 5 inches forward, making detachment fairly easy. The only difficulty would be taking care to identify the cables for reattachment. :lol:

Maybe it's different on a GT6?

yes spitfire  has a nasty thing with a hole in to seal the harness /baulkhead 

GT6 and Vitesse were a bit more 'posh'    Ha !

when we split the body tubs on the Vit6 I cut all the wires to add a full fuse box, but car was needed in a hurry and choc blockes were fitted as a temporary bodge

Ive sold the car 2 yrs and guess its still got them ...hiding behind the battery    Oops!!!

one of them To Do lists that Dont 

Pete