Fuel pump repair

cliff.b

I was replacing some fuel lines yesterday and when I attempted to remove the one to the fuel pump inlet the entire inlet pipe came out of its housing. I have pushed it back in and secured the hose but it is now slightly weeping fuel.

Does anyone have any recommendations for something petrol resistant that I could seal it with and hopefully stop it coming out again? Or should I just replace the fuel pump? I have heard that new ones often don't last.

Im sure it could be repaired with epoxy metal Cliff but you cant really take the risk and the cost of a replacement pump is minimal. Only possible problem with a new item is that some people have found they produce too much pressure so causing their carburettor float valves to leak...

8 minutes ago, johny said:

Even better but give the pipes of the spare a good tug first😁

Definitely. I was investigating the fuel lines as I seem to have lost fuel over the Winter and there has been a slight smell of petrol every time I went in the garage. I'm wondering if this inlet pipe weeping was the problem all along. 

1 hour ago, Morgana said:

I haven't seen this style. Does it not have an olive and screw? It seems a problem waiting to happen with dissimilar metals otherwise!

The inlet pipe is just a push fit into the casting that forms the top of the pump, but it looks like there may be the remnants of some sort of sealant or glue. I could just push it back in but, as I said, it weeps.

Thinking back, when I first got the car the pump was leaking and I ordered the wrong part (early 1500 Spit instead of late) so just swapped the top cap & gasket over. So this cap, with the push in pipe, is from the replacement pump I bought about 3 years ago. I'm guessing there will be others.

Posted (edited)

This is my unused spare pump which looks the same as the one on the car.

IMG_20240331_214744_329.thumb.jpg.780d044e72a02e124d2c74da13d10b7b.jpg

IMG_20240331_214806_423.thumb.jpg.53adacb39bb22c631b65d69e47ffccdd.jpg

Looking at the outlet pipe shows evidence of what may be glue or similar.

IMG_20240331_214822_493.thumb.jpg.15fac95c5082836375879d16de0da0b3.jpg

Edited by cliff.b
Add text

I think the originals were cast with the pipes in place so they were well and truly attached but the pattern part makers now bond them in after casting which is a lot easier but not so reliable☹️

2 minutes ago, johny said:

I think the originals were cast with the pipes in place so they were well and truly attached but the pattern part makers now bond them in after casting which is a lot easier but not so reliable☹️

I suspect that you are right 🙄

5 minutes ago, johny said:

All I can suggest is that you make sure the rubber hose has plenty of excess flex in the way of a loop so that it transmits as little vibration or stress to the pipe

I have a glass filter and a motorcycle type fuel tap between the copper pipe and the pump, so maybe it has all been moving about too much.

I'm thinking of securing  the hose to the distributor mount in some way so that there would be an almost completely straight run to the pump inlet with no possibility of flex at all. 

• Like 1

I'd experiment with threading the hole, maybe drill it out slightly and tap it, and thread a small threaded pipe attachment in. There's bound to be a small threaded attachment available somewhere that's the correct size.

Strange? the two I have are both screwed connetions?

image.jpeg.07dbf35b11a5058d44a375c92ce779ec.jpeg

image.jpeg.27da31da58e85d5dee482929fcd5c331.jpeg

Pete

P.S. Anyone know how much petrol is under the Tank suction (13/60). Plum started and ran yesterday, to-day it will start, runs and cuts out?

P

Edited by PeteH

- Those pipes seem to be an ‘interference fit’.  A highfalutin term  for  ‘jammed-in’.

Drilling and tapping  would seem an option.

There are fuel resistant sealants -Plastic Padding do one - and blue Hylomar used to be OK with petrol.

Drilling  and ‘ pinning’ the pipe in place would be a possibility, if rather  involved.

It was often done with early V6 Scimitar carbs where the  brass inlet pipe similarly used to come  adrift resulting in  unwelcome  ‘ thermal reconfiguration’  of the fiberglass bodywork. 

This pump pipe issue seems another problem area with some replacement  fuel pumps.

Others are: 

1. pressure way above above spec. leading to carb needle valve  leakage. 

2. poorly finished (ie rough / ridged   ) operating arm surface which has to be dressed before use to prevent damaging  the camshaft 

Edited by Unkel Kunkel

There are other designs Cliff like the one from Paddock that I posted earlier but

a/ these might be made the same way or,

b/ theres no guarantee youll actually be sent that model.

Otherwise theres always electric.... 

I have fitted the top off my spare pump which is almost identical but not quite. There are no leaks and I have re-routed and secured the flexible hose to minimise stress on the inlet tube.

Interestingly, I reseated the old parts and the pipe could easily be removed again but I then put it in the vice and the pipe went in about another 5mm after which I couldn't remove it again. I'm wondering if it was never assembled correctly in the first place. If it was a flawed design then surely others would have seen this?