Always something, engine cutting etc.

Car, Vitesse 2L Mk1, ran fine before I went on holiday for two weeks, took it out yesterday after a few miles started misfiring and engine cutting and back firing didn't think I was going to get home. No work done on car since previous run, less than a thousand miles since having the head converted to unleaded, seat inserts, bronze valve guides, as recommended, etc, distributor hasn't moved and no petrol bought since previous run.

So sticking valve, ignition component just starting to fail, something blocking fuel to carbs who knows but I think I will start by checking cards are clean unless someone has a better idea.

Joys of classic motoring.

Regards

Paul.

if on points  then back fires indicate a failed condenser

especially if it idles but wont power up to drive 

if needed get one from distributor doctor his work and are tested

i seem to remember old posts about bronze guides  seizing valves ??

any rubber slivers will be hiding behind the float valve .

condenser is my first thought 

pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

Paul,

I had a similar problem a few years ago whilst running a Lumenition ignition on my GT6. It turned out that the control module for the ignition was faulty. If all else fails you might want to investigate that as a possible source of your troubles.

Wayne

Thanks for the replies, as said no changes, not even petrol, since runs prior to holiday, not had a chance to check anything yet. Have a complete distributor to exchange with existing one to bypass electronic ignition and a spare coil so this might be my first port of call rather than strip the carburettors.

Might take of rocker gear to see how well valve bounce using a plastic hammer, decisions decisions.

Many thanks

Paul.

7 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Thanks for the replies, as said no changes, not even petrol, since runs prior to holiday, not had a chance to check anything yet. Have a complete distributor to exchange with existing one to bypass electronic ignition and a spare coil so this might be my first port of call rather than strip the carburettors.

Might take of rocker gear to see how well valve bounce using a plastic hammer, decisions decisions.

Many thanks

Paul.

If it is a valve it'll be temperature related so need to whip the cover off as soon as it does it to then run and inspect...