Gearbox reverse stop pin.

Hi guys,

Selecting reverse in my Spit Mk3 has always been difficult. Before I refit the transmission tunnel I was wondering if anybody knew how to adjust the reverse stop pin to hopefully make selecting reverse easier?

Cheers,

Brett

Hi Brett, have you downloaded the free manuals from vitessesteve.co.uk as these have a great drawing of how its supposed to be set up (all earlier Spitfires, Heralds and Vitesse/GT6 have the same). However the linkage also has a large affect on gear selection so have you checked all its bushes as these dont last long...

What you describe probably means something is worn out in the ball/cup/spring setup that the lever pivots on. There’s no way of adjusting anything higher or lower.

I would guess your circlip 69 has slipped out of its groove in the gearlever 72 which is very common. Its this that the spring 70 (which could also be broken or very weak) pushes against to keep the lever pulled fully up relative to the pivot ball 77... 

image.png.a65d3c55c3393ab7a176598f67842ddc.png

Hi Guys,

You were right the circlip had moved up the gear lever. It is a very loose fit and I am looking to tighten it some how.

My stop pin has a flat along one side, is this to allow it to run under the stop plate when selecting reverse gear?

Cheers,

Brett

Yes this is a common problem and it can be down to the groove being worn so allowing the circlip to slip out. Being loose certainly doesnt help...

Also it sounds like the stop pin has worn flat as it should be round like in the Triumph drawing. What state is the stop plate in?

Yes the circlip groove gets rounded edges instead of being nice and square so the circlip wont stay in so well. Some people thump the gearlever down for reverse and out it pops.... 

what about a small hole through the lever and roll pin protruding across and above the split ring 69, roll pin easily pushed out for future replacement of ball and springs, not personally tried so can't advise outcome.

Re ball sitting too low I had one that pushed thro the remote I used a large thin semi spherical dished washer that fitted perfectly in the remote and it's still going strong years later.  

Can't remember where my dished washer came from I'm a hoarder for these sort of small things, when an electrical thing breaks down I strip it for all the sundry parts, bolts self tappers etc, drives the wife mad!! It looks similat to an arial outside finisher but I don't think there large enough.