ARP cylinder head studs for GT6 ( or regular ones from Canleys)

Mack

Hello all,

My cylinder head is not wanting to come off so am going to remove the studs to help it along. I have read that the ARP studs are good but can be a bit short. Has anyone had any experience fitting them? I cant seem to find detailed specs. 

Failing that would ordering from Canleys be a good bet for standard ones?

Cheers,

Really strange as its only been on 10k miles hasnt it? Will the studs need replacing if you take them out? Never heard of any problems with any studs and if youre not going racing I would have thought standard items will be fine especially being a mk2 engine (thicker studs)...

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure how many miles it's been since the rebuild to be honest, it was about 10 years ago as far as I know. I'm struggling to get the studs out with the double method so might resort to a stud extractor, which probably won't the studs in the best condition. I'll be giving them a good dose of plus gas each evening and hopefully have more luck getting them out this weekend.

Edited by Mack
  • Like 1

There's no need for the expense of ARP studs on a road going engine.

If the existing studs are in good condition, without worn threads, they can be reused. If in doubt, fit new original style studs. It's a good idea to fit new nuts in case of wear, they're not expensive.

Whatever you decide about studs and nuts, make certain to use the correct washers beneath each nut. Ordinary washers can compress and spread under the torque required for the cylinder head.

Nigel

Thanks for the replies. I have previously ordered some head nuts and washers from Canleys so will just get some studs from them aswell. I will persevere with getting the head off without damaging them first though. I'm giving them a tap when I spray on the plus gas as I understand that helps the lubrication get down the threads.

A couple of tips when refitting the head studs...

Always make sure the threads in the block are clean, and fit the studs only finger tight in the block. Over tightening the studs can raise the block surface around the stud holes, causing the head gasket to leak.

Nigel

i have always used a chuck/3 jaw stud extractor with impact gun or a 3 ft breaker bar 

even on Dougs stuburn studs   Laser 3986 Impact Stud Extractor - Machine Mart - Machine Mart

it is normally corrosion between stud and head ,i have in the past got the head to raise enough to

slide a hacksaw blade in ,(protect faces with a bit of cornflake packet) cut the stud and punch the stud remains out of the head the threaded remains often undo with the fingers 

Pete

Success! Head is finally off.

I had to remove most of the studs but most came out ok with the double nut method. I had to use an extractor like the one Pete mentioned to get the last to hold outs.

Then wedged a piece of 2x4 between the lip of the head and the floor and gently lowered the car down and it lifted slightly.  Thanks for all the help on this and my previous thread.

Now to order some more studs and get the blighter back on!

I dont have a recessed block but I ordered a gasket from Canley's having read your post. The one that arrived is from Payen so let's hope the flat ones fit better!

Before reassembly, Remember to check that the cylinder head surface is perfectly flat. If the head is warped, it will need a light skim, or the new gasket won't last long. 

The pushrod side of the gasket is prone to oil leaks. I always fit the new gasket with a smear of sealant along this edge. Reinzosil is very effective. 

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Head back on today having cleaned up the surfaces and checked the valves. Didn't go that well, which seems to be the theme with this task so far 🤣

One of the head nuts went as I was torquing them up. I have been reassured by Canley's that these are the correct Grade 5 nuts so I can only assume that my torque wrench is off. I had it set to just over 65 lb/ft as the manual states between 65 and 70. The washers supplied also seemed to deform a lot. A colleague at work has a very good torque wrench so I will try again with that when the new nut and washers arrive.