Whiny third!

Hi all 

Just a sanity check please. I bought a recon gearbox (reputable supplier) and it’s now installed. Works fine, but I appear to have a real whine on third when accelerating. I spoke with the supplier who has suggested it may need time to bed in (200-300 miles)

Has anyone experienced this before and did a whiny box settle down? The supplier was quite happy to exchange the box if it continues so I’m not overly concerned

thanks in advance

As its just one gear think its unlikely to be a bearing so could be gears. Its possible that third gear has been changed as part of the recon so its teeth no longer match those of the laygear. Now whether they can 'bed in' and how long that would take is very difficult to say but I think its worth doing the miles the supplier suggests (as quickly as possible) to see if there is any improvement... 

18 minutes ago, johny said:

Yes bit of a nightmare now isnt it - with no new gears being available mixing used parts is the only option left...

Nine times out of ten its shouldn't be a problem if gearsets, and clusters are kept together when stripped for rebuild.

The problem usually occurs when a used/repaired cluster is swapped for a damaged one, or individual gears are mixed up from various stripped similar core.

Its its any consolation the noise shouldn't get any worse.  My daily driver Courier has had noisy 3rd for over 10 years which hasn't got any worse. It was built with a replacement cluster (bushed ends), and a mixed up set of driven gears off the shelf. I wasn't worried about potential noise issues, because its a Courier!

Edited by Works Spitfires
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Works Spitfires said:

Or those gloopy snake oil concoctions you used to be able to buy from Halfrauds, and the like which promised to silence the worst mechanical malady's.

Yes didnt they actually put metal back on the gear teeth to bring them back to the original profile😍

21 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Dave   youre showing your age now   Ha !!!

put some STP in your old banger to revive it  ,  

these days i need some in my coffee !!

Pete

My first full time job was as as a trainee manager in a Motorist Discount Centre (the owner of the chain had ambitions to be bigger than Halfords, and have more branches which he managed the week before it folded!). I remember our best trading days were Saturdays, and our fastest moving items were Mini exhaust systems (£9.99), Mini cylinder head bypass hoses, Cortina void bushes, and those miracle oil things (there was another brand other than STP that I seem to remember being popular). 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Works Spitfires said:

My first full time job was as as a trainee manager in a Motorist Discount Centre (the owner of the chain had ambitions to be bigger than Halfords, and have more branches which he managed the week before it folded!). I remember our best trading days were Saturdays, and our fastest moving items were Mini exhaust systems (£9.99), Mini cylinder head bypass hoses, Cortina void bushes, and those miracle oil things (there was another brand other than STP that I seem to remember being popular). 

Slick 50?

20 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

aha Mini bypass hoses  either it went on a doddle or it fought you all the way 

Pete

We used to sell a ribbed (for pleasure?) alternative to the original straight one, it made fitting so much easier. They used to come on a cardboard sheet in little tear off plastic bags (yellow coloured branding with a blue Lion, can't remember who though?).

• Haha 1

Back in the day everyone either worked or at least knew someone who worked for Motorist discount centre-you would have thought they were as big as ici-must have conducted more interviews than any other company-fantastic place to work in early days

30 minutes ago, martin barlow said:

Back in the day everyone either worked or at least knew someone who worked for Motorist discount centre-you would have thought they were as big as ici-must have conducted more interviews than any other company-fantastic place to work in early days

The chap that owned it was an interesting fella. I was impressed when he turned up at the HQ in Nottingham when I was on my training in a Jensen Interceptor. I've never forgotten his name  (Richard Hartley) because I had to write it out on the banking envelope at the end of each days trading then walk through the town with a couple of grand in cash before sticking it in the Nat West night safe. How I never got mugged for it I'll never know. 

One of the wagon drivers (who must have been well thought of) was rumoured to have been sent to have a phone fitted in the Jensen and called Richard on it to tell him he had pronged the car!-Happy days-think the by pass hose might have been supra Letco or supra parts as they became

Well that spiralled off in many interesting directions!

Thanks for all the comments. I think I’m going to enjoy the summer with it and then take stock. I went out in it yesterday with the newly soundproofed tunnel in place and to be honest, the noise is not that noticeable.

So will the whine outweigh the agro of replacing the box? and from the comments, I could be in a similar position if I do replace it

A decision for October/November I reckon

thanks again

44 minutes ago, Mashby said:

So will the whine outweigh the agro of replacing the box? and from the comments, I could be in a similar position if I do replace it

A decision for October/November I reckon

thanks again

If it's only third then it all depends on how much and for how long you use that gear... cruising in 4th, if it's silent then, may outweigh the problems caused by 3rd. Noisy 4th may be much worse!!

I have a number of spare boxes and spare parts salted away but it's the bother of removing any box when one finally needs work that colours any decision and makes me feel I can tolerate things for another while...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

driving with the tunnel off will frighten the Pooh out of many with all the whirring clacking clicking

thats hidden by the tunnel 

Pete

Very true, and prior to the new box going in it was a fibre glass tunnel with no soundproofing so it was quite loud. Much better now