Washer Bottle leak

I had to remove the electric washer bottle to get access to feed in a new Speedo drive . Good job I did as the joint where the pump fits the bottle was leaking . Now I know why the bottle needed regularly topping up . Repaired with ptfe tape . It’s just a push fit so worth checking 

IMG_0757.thumb.jpeg.f42a9cd146bafac18049e877b76094e5.jpeg

Paul 

Be thankful it's accessible! I just replaced the one on my daughter's Fiesta, had to remove headlamp, wheelarch liner and a lot of other gubbins to even find it. There's a strange 'point' on them that fits into a hole in the body, and it had broken off hence the need to constantly refill and the eventually discovered leak.

22 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

had to remove headlamp, wheelarch liner and a lot of other gubbins

You need to do that with a headlight lamp change on Sprinters, Plus needing an arm with 2 elbows and 2 wrist joints. Designers Never consider maintenance when making their fancy drawings. Circa. 1970. I stood by a new build ship fitting out on the Tyne. The fitter turned up the fit a Pump, bearing in mind this pump had a 6 monthly inspection and greasing schedule and would require overhaul and replacement at some point. The fitter was about to install it facing the bulkhead leaving the possibilty of ever removing it a long and convoluted job. To compound the issue, the pipe fitter turned up with a pipe connection section which made even that impossible. When I pointed the issue out, the answer was, "that`s how it is on the drawings". Took days to persuade them to do it "right".

Pete

My last modern an x type jag diesel estate had a bolt to a rear suspension arm that had a bush that failed. but the bolt was fitted at the factory before the subframe was attached so could not be removed without removing the diesel tank and supports or the whole sub frame. Most cut the bolt, ground off the captive nut on the other end and fitted a bolt from the other side. Only an issue on the diesel estate version but they only need to fit the bolt from the rear not the front to make replacement easy

It caused me a lot of head-scratching... in the photo, the part that broke off is the little 'point' directly below the filler neck, yet the bottle was emptying completely. It took me ages to find the damage as I was inspecting the bottom of the bottle every time. I've no idea how the fluid all ran out, but a replacement bottle cured it completely. It wasn't leaking from the pump seal either!

s-l1600-4.thumb.jpg.89dc1731493d1c6e6c5dfe02ee16e700.jpg

• Confused 1