Going 2.5 in mk2 vitesse

Puglet1

Hi johny.

Yes I believe so.

I have recently had a rolling road session with Peter Burgess. I must say, it was a fantastic experience and he was a pleasure to deal with - an honest “old school type engineer” that really knows his stuff.

The car is running really well and very smoothly - far better than before Peter looked at it.

I guess my trouble is I’ve been  spoiled and grown used to more modern car performance and am looking for a slightly quicker on acceleration.

Having said that, there’s always that “special challenge”  in the back of my mind which says “ how can I improve the thrill that I’m already getting?

Pete.

Sorry to come to this so late on, but I have been away without internet.

My Vitesse has a 2.5TC engine 'Bodged in' without changing the 2.5 sump. I have yet to find the culprit, but he is probably beneath the daisies. It was done using a Vitesse backplate and fitting the engine 20 mm rearwards behind the Turrets. The engine is canted slightly to make the sump parallel with the rack and the front carb needs a dome in the bonnet. There is only 3mm clearance under the sump and the 2.5 front plate is still fitted. It looks horrid but goes ok.

I need only use first and top gears. It does 35 plus in first and will pull from 18 mph in top. Yes is is a bodge, but somebody did this doing the least amount of work possible.

The prop is standard Vitesse without overdrive and is 3mm away from full insertion on the sliding spline. Sadly, the overdrive was removed but there is a J type in the spares box.

As others state, the gearbox, diff and all transmission will suffer from the extra torque and the 2.5 is not so willing to rev as the 2 litre. You may be disappointed.

This car is now for sale in the Courier. I am too old and infirm to tackle doing much more.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, johny said:

What power and torque are you making, anywhere near factory?

Hi johny.

To be honest I think I’m quite a way off factory.

This could be partly due to the previous owner just pootling around.

Anyway, upon arrival 80.22 hp @4860rpm and 98.14 left @2549rpm.

After RR. 87.28 hp @ 4826rpm and 104.18 left @ 2533 rpm.

It may not sound like much gain but the seat of the pants feel back is so much better.

What do you think?

If you were in my shoes what would your next step be?

If thats at the wheels its not bad as Triumphs figures are probably at flywheel. For me the experience isnt about speed and acceleration (Ive got a motorbike for that) but I want the smoothest, best handling and braking Vitesse possible while still keeping it standard👍

• Like 1

My car is a Mk 1 and I would suggest that putting a 2.5 into a Mk2 would be a better option but with CV drive shafts instead of the rotaflex couplings. If you want to race away from traffic lights, find a different car. It is not a kind thing to do with small chassis Triumph and something will break.

• Like 1

Kastner claimed 200BHP, but when I asked him how, he couldn't remember! (?)

The bare bones 2.5 does give you a whole lot more torque mid-range   Development can give you a lot more - I have 170, but that's breaking gearboxes and now rear axles!

John

• Like 1

A fellow club member here has a 2500  saloon with triple carb, hot cam, roller rockers, electric water pump and develops over 150bhp at the wheels. Car is a little lumpy in traffic!

Drive shafts and gearbox ok BUT clutch’s he goes thro too frequently!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

Drive shafts and gearbox ok BUT clutch’s he goes thro too frequently!

Yes my tuned 2.5 Vitesse has CV shafts, Saloon box and 3.27 diff, so far no breakages but it did wear out it`s first AP clutch in 10,000 miles.

Now fitted a Paddle type.

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daverclasper said:

Is that through slipping the clutch for racing starts?, or just the extra torque in general ?

I think predominately the latter from what I see even at speed she sits her back end down under acceleration, with a little help from racing starts