Herald estate 13/60 front suapension

Whilst swapping the exhaust on the herald as I’d got the engine side cover off and a few other bits, I’ve decided to rebuild the suspension, the shocker was in a very rusty state and the spring is heavily corroded. Now I have everything the bushes on the drivers side look in excellent condition so I’m not replacing on this side (will this cause an issue??) the PO used grease in the trunnions and I’ve scraped loads of congealed grease off the outside - whilst it’s apart I will strip and inspect the vertical link and clean out the trunnion - I don’t know the condition of the other side yet but is it better to replace the trunnions as a pair and keep the old one or ones as a spare?

As long as the bushes are the same type ie not urethane one side and rubber the other I cant see a problem. Its not F1😁 Same with trunnions although if one side worn the other is likely to be the same. However bear in mind what people have found with ugly original components far outlasting new pattern replacements....

On 05/07/2024 at 16:53, johny said:

Have a good check though as they can look horrible but still have plenty of life. Metalastic were quality

Yes. Ten years ago, I replaced all the (I think) original bushes as looked dodgy from the outside .(though later on, when studying past MOT history, no issues had ever been been flagged up).

I replaced with Poly's, and have been fine since, though I think I probably needn't have bothered, Ah, hindsight ( bags of it at home, and all out of date).

14 hours ago, daverclasper said:

I replaced with Poly's, and have been fine since, though I think I probably needn't have bothered, Ah, hindsight ( bags of it at home, and all out of date).

I'm like you, I replace all mine in poly with probably no need at all; the currently available replacement originals would probably have lasted for years with my style of driving. The Flo-Flex poly kit I used was actually cheaper though, given that it had all the suspension bushes, diff mounts, roll bar and steering bushes, so was handier than sourcing all individually. Cost me £58 back then but they've gone up in price since.