Indicator issue

Currently getting a GT6 mk3 on the road, tested indicators - both sides worked when engine on. Hazard lights did not, nothing when switched on.

Indicators have always flashed slowly but worked.

Changed the flasher unit, hazards worked  (without engine running) and one side (passenger) indicator worked - flashed (with engine running) while drivers side just lit up and did not flash.

I am thinking that I may have a high resistance on the drivers side wiring, any ideas?Graham

Note: flashed units seem to have different specs.

Graham

I had a problem with the hazards on my Mk3 GT6 many years ago. It turned out to be poor contact in the hazard switch, easily cured by spraying in contact cleaner while flicking the switch vigorously back and forth.

Nigel

Sorry just to make it clearer, new flasher - hazards work, old flasher unit does not work.

New flasher unit - left indicators when switched from column switch works, however driver side indicators when switch from column just light up but do not flash.

However when operating left and right indicators using  old flasher unit both worked.

I assume the hazard is powered direct from battery , while column switch is powered through ignition switch, both use the same wiring the lights.

Can't image of is an earth problem as lights work if using a combination of flasher units.

Graham

The feed to the hazard flash unit is unswitched, fused, via the purple wire which picks up from C2 on the horn relay. The feed to the direction flasher is fused, switched (ignition switch) via a green wire which picks up from the back of the voltage stabiliser. But it does not go directly to the flasher unit: The green wire goes to terminal 8 on the hazard flasher switch, the pathway is passed through the switch to terminal 7 from which a Light Green/Slate wire goes to the direction flasher unit. From the DRU there is feed forward to the column direction switch which then sends the feed to off, left or right depending on selection.

Thus one candidate for the pattern of symptoms described is faulty direction switch. It can have dirty or decayed contacts, or contacts that arc and get hot. A diagnostic test is the find the relevant wires in the bundle under the steering column and with a jumper lead join Light Green/Slate on to GreenRed then GreenWhite. If all the direction flashers work then that strongly implicates the direction column switch.

But poor forward or earth pathway is consistent with what you describe. That the right hand side indicators work with one flasher unit but not another could be as follows. For the two pin (vane type) flasher unit a certain level of current is needed to heat up and therefore make/break the circuit. The two units could just vary slightly with one being slightly more sensitive than the other in a situation where current is marginal.

Poor pathway at the rear lights such is such a common Spitfire/GT6 problem that it's always worth exploring even just for exclusion. Factors can be • bulb poor (worn or oxidised contacts) • contacts on bulb holder oxidised, weak or making poor contact• Poor contact between the 'teeth' on the bulb holder and the body of the light unit • Earth stud on the rear light unit broken (many are) so earth floating free without an alternative attachment being made.

We must not overlook the front indiator bulb: this can be in a poor state much as the back. A remote possibility may be the night dimming relay (if your vehicle has one). But this would be the last thing to explore due to its inacessible location (tucked up behind the left rear wing).

Edited by chrishawley

Thank you Chris for a detailed explanation, I will work through this. My gut feeling is the direction indicator switch has a poor contact, so high resistance.

I was unsure of the wiring but you have give a good explanation.

Cheers 

Graham

Checked the switch and also stripped it down and cleaned it. Very dirty.

Check the earthquake cleaned on the drivers side, (side where lights stayed on)

Decided fault was with direction indicator flasher unit. Problem not really sure where it is located, besides behind dash board.

Removed dash board, what a pain, located unit and replaced it with the original hazard flasher unit and everything worked.

Refitted dash, lost one of the knurled nuts for the Speedo clamp.

Does anyone know the thread size for these?

Thank all for your help, original did not realise that the car had two flashing units which throw my initial investigation.

Closed to MOT 😀😀😀

Graham

19 minutes ago, Graham C said:

Thank, thought of supplier  - 50p nut and £5 postage.😂😂😂

Graham

I always have a list of bits to buy but anyway I think that nut could wait until your next shop😂