New Arrival - BYK 309H Vitesse MK2 Convertible

GFL

Gary take a step back, you’ve not had it that long, use it get to know it before changing this and that and will it be a keeper??

I’m trying hard not to do this and that, with my Vitesse and failing miserably.

l’ve just replaced the Wolfrace alloys with a set 5” steel wheels only this week.

Note to self, keep off that pesky auction site!

IMG_4246.jpeg

• Like 1

No, I've made my mind up that the Wires are going.

Although they do look good, they are a pain to keep clean, heavy, flexy and I fear the splines are not up to the job on a Vitesse.

I was considering some Period Alloys (Cosmic or Revolution 4 spoke) but I've set my mind on putting original rims and Ro-styles back on the car, I love the look of the Vitesse with the Ro-styles.

I've just got to accept the fact things are a lot more expensive these days.

I should be able to sell the Wires on, as they have only done around 8,000 mile since the car was rebuilt and they've recently had new Tyres and Tubes fitted.

Looking at the Rimmers Website, a set of Wheels with all the Hubs, Spinners, Etc are near on £1,800 now and that's without tyres and tubes.

What are my Chrome Wires and tyres worth?

Gary           

1 hour ago, Straightsix said:

Gary

Personally I have no idea what they’re worth, a search through an auction site would give you some idea I guess.

I agree cleaning them is a chore, not for me.

There are some listed at the moment on E-Bay with Spinners, Hubs, Etc but without Tyres for £950, I will have to see if they sell?

Never easy to price up something second hand, times are hard for a lot of people at the moment and Chrome Wire Wheels are a bit of a luxury

I'm not ready to sell as yet, I'm sorted with the 4.5J Steel rims but I need to source some decent Ro-style trims too.

Gary  

On 15/08/2024 at 09:01, Gary Flinn said:

There are some listed at the moment on E-Bay with Spinners, Hubs, Etc but without Tyres for £950, I will have to see if they sell?

That's always a two-edged sword; the first ones sell at a high price because someone needs them. Aha, thinks you, I'll list mine too - but the guy who really needed some has now got his, and no-one else bids anywhere near his top bid. 

Things just aren't selling at high prices any more; I had one or two 'premium' items listed that I just removed again.

• Like 1

Colin

Yes, I know times are hard for a lot of people?

I'm not desperate to sell them, so may wait till next spring to advertise them.

I've managed to source some Vitesse 4.5J Steel rims off a guy 4 miles from home, which was fortunate.

However, I still have to try and source a decent A1+ Set of Ro-style trims or if possible some N.O.S. ones for a not unreasonable price.

There are some PI ones on E-Bay, but too expensive for me I'm afraid.

Cheers

Gary

9 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

I've managed to source some Vitesse 4.5J Steel rims off a guy 4 miles from home, which was fortunate.

However, I still have to try and source a decent A1+ Set of Ro-style trims or if possible some N.O.S. ones for a not unreasonable price.

I think the Pi and Vitesse Rostyles have a different metal back mounting ring that push's onto the wheel, I gave my Vitesse ones to a friend who had a Pi and they kept popping off whilst driving esp cornering. Remember spending a half hour in the rain in a farmers field with him trying to find one trim that escaped!

If you need to fettle the Rostyles, Canadian You Tube "Rusty Beauties" had an episode where he straightened and beat them for a client for a TR6 not Vitesse

• Thanks 1

On 18/08/2024 at 13:24, Peter Truman said:

There’s a set of Rostyles on eBay currently Item 355965389196 priced at around 70 quid.

Looks like they've either been sold or removed, I cannot find them?

I may be sorted though, there is someone in the Triumph 2000/2.5PI Register local to me who's got a decent set of 4 for sale, I just need to arrange a viewing one day after work.

Gary 

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

im sure there has been problems before with big saloon trims wont stay on the small chassis wheels

all down to varying offsets and rim designs 

take care that they fit and stay fitted 

Pete

Pete, you are correct and I'm aware of the different fitting rim depths.

Apparently the original Mk2 Vitesse & Mk2 GT6 rims have a 32mm deep fitting rim, other depths are 15mm (Early PI), 20mm (Stag) and 25mm (Late PI)

I fitted the late PI Ones (25mm ring) to my old Vitesse and they are a snug fit up to the rim/tyre, but I fitted (On the advice of AN Other) a Top hat shaped bracket that fitted under 2 of the wheel nuts and was tapped 2ba in the middle so I could hold the PI Trims secure, it also blanks the hole.

I've been told these are late PI with 25mm fitting rim depth, I've arranged to view them after work today, so will see what condition they are in and how much the vender wants for them.

The ones listed on E-Bay currently either won't fit or are too expensive in my opinion.

It will be a case of getting the 4.5J Rims collected, blasted and painted, then some new tyres

I will also have to get some longer wheel studs and new Wheel nuts too.

The Studs have been shortened on my car for the Wire Wheels and the Wheel nuts are also special shorter bevelled types.

Nothing is simple?!

Gary 

14 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

time to upgrade to 7/6" UNF  (big saloon studs ) or 12mm    studs all are easy fit in the orig hub holes 

and they wont ever get sheared or stripped 

Pete

Pete

Do the uprated studs go through the standard 4.5J Vitesse rims ok?

Picked up these beauties last night, I will need to make up some top-hat brackets to stop them coming off, put that shouldn't take too long.

Gary 

6. All Four.jpeg

2. Rears.jpeg

Lucky B! they look great, when I shipped my 68 Vitesse Mk2 to Aus early 74 I hid the Rostyles in the car BUT light fingers found them I did get another set of near NOS ex UK the insurance forked out over $600Aus for the replacements?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

Do the uprated studs go through the standard 4.5J Vitesse rims ok

yes  and the splined diameter of the unf/metric studs is a same fit in the hub as the weeny 3/8unf originals   you will need new nuts with a 60deg chamfe

on some you need a small grind /file chamler to clear the diameter register flange on the inside of the front hubs  ot they will pitch a bit  (easy fix)  rears may fit in with the shoes removed ,saves taking the hub off,

if realy long studs som hole saw a access hole in the back plate (bit more dramatic ) 

if using capped wheel nuts then you must check length so stop bottoming out 

but its a brick sh1t house wheel fix compared to the weeny original 3/8 unf studs 

never to be aged/stripped or sheared ever again 

its easy to use and old wheel nut and a few washers to drag the new splines into the hub drillings .

pete

Edited by Pete Lewis
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

Lucky B! they look great, when I shipped my 68 Vitesse Mk2 to Aus early 74 I hid the Rostyles in the car BUT light fingers found them I did get another set of near NOS ex UK the insurance forked out over $600Aus for the replacements?

Peter

I managed to pick them up quite local too, a lot cheaper than the ones listed on E-Bay although one as a very slight dent, but they are A1+ which will do me.

It goes to show that putting a wanted advert on the Facebook groups does work.

I've arrange to collect the Vitesse 4.5J Rims later this afternoon, they will need blasting an painting though so I can't see me fitting them anytime soon.

Gary

3 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:
4 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

Do the uprated studs go through the standard 4.5J Vitesse rims ok

yes  and the splined diameter of the unf/metric studs is a same fit in the hub as the weeny 3/8unf originals   you will need new nuts with a 60deg chamfe

on some you need a small grind /file chamler to clear the diameter register flange on the inside of the front hubs  ot they will pitch a bit  (easy fix)  rears may fit in with the shoes removed ,saves taking the hub off,

if realy long studs som hole saw a access hole in the back plate (bit more dramatic ) 

if using capped wheel nuts then you must check length so stop bottoming out 

Gary, make sure the chamfer on the nuts runs to a small enough diameter to sit nicely in the countersink of your wheels. My TR6 capped nuts will need a smidge taking off to fit my Spit steelies.

Cheers, Richard

Edited by rlubikey
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Those trims are superb - well done. They'll look great on the Vitesse.

Speaking of FB Groups, someone in the Triumph Herald Spares group is asking for a set of wires, so you may be able to recoup some of the cost. 

Colin

I must find the details and contact them.

Cheers 

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more progress with the Wheel change, picked up my refurbished 4.5J Rims and couldn't resist trying a Ro-style trim on one😊

I need to decide on some tyres, I had Uniroyal Rain Expert tyres on my last Vitesse, so that may be the way to go.

Gary  

Refurbished Wheels.jpg

New PI Rostyles.jpg

• Like 1