Herald hood fitting, side panel area

I'm using my 13/60 hood for the first time in ages, due to a tear along the side (actually it's generally not as bad as I remembered)

I know it's been poorly fitted before, the poppers on one side will attach but they're way off on the other. However the side panels have a long cloth section that hang down inside the car on either side, inside of the rear wing tops and behind the b-posts. 

This is meant to be clipped to the bodywork inside the car, onto a thin panel that hangs off the rear wing behind the side seat trims. Now: as there is a lot of it and I've no other convertibles as reference, is it clipped tight to the bodywork ie folded up around the panel and clipped in place so that it adds tension and maybe a better seal, or is it meant to loop and have some amount of movement? 

IMG_8880.thumb.jpeg.8e466c50c823e9de6cb32c3685d5ab79.jpeg

Colin

I'm sure mine was simply pulled taught and then folded up and over the panel you mention, then held in place with a few of the U section Trim clips.

I believe this is correct, I'll have a look at my latest acquisition later today and see if that's been done the same?

Gary

4 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

Colin

I'm sure mine was simply pulled taught and then folded up and over the panel you mention, then held in place with a few of the U section Trim clips.

I believe this is correct, I'll have a look at my latest acquisition later today and see if that's been done the same?

Gary

Please; from what I've seen of your new Vitesse so far I'd say that has been done properly!! It's just to confirm if it tensions the sides of the hood to prevent flapping, or if tensioned too tight will it tear the hood if opened or closed?

2 hours ago, Steve P said:

Same on my 13/60, which although the hood vinyl is not original, all the  trim is and there`s no sign of additional panels or fixing in that area.

S

Not an additional panel but an extended strip along the lower edge of the inner wing to fix clips onto. It's clipped, with two clips, but how tightly?

Screenshot2024-07-15at20_44_02.png.b57d0018736772c63fbb3c49e6b4d9ab.png

I recognise that picture! That was Anglian Triumphs fitting a new hood to my car that they had done a lot of body work on (**).
It was written up for an article in Triumph World. 
That was 10 years ago and I replaced the hood last year as it had shrunk over the years. Yes it still had the clips fitted and I refitted them to the new hood.
I spent a lot of time getting the hood frame working properly, a lot of the joints and hinges were seized or very tight. Getting the frame working right has made it so much easier to raise and lower the hood.

mike

(**) BTW I have had the door skins replaced again this year :( 

Colin

I took some pictures but unfortunately no clips are fitted on my new car?

I know they were on my Old Vitesse, about 4 or 5 per side, I think more for neatness than anything and I don't think the material was pulled too tight.

Regards

Gary

Hood Flap no clips.jpg

Hood Flap & Frame.jpg

No Clips.jpg

Just had a look at my parts car. Looks like completely original including rust. Slow returningbto its original core elements. Tbh all the parts on it are probably worse than.the ones i got

Anyway.

The flap of hood which i mever had thought about on mine goes downwards, then folds around the metal pressing at top of wing and rises back up by 10 mm.

1 clip either side. As i touched one the clip disintrgrated but have attached photos.

20240716_152026.thumb.jpg.926f2fea82d645513ab047e2656d61bb.jpg

20240716_152054.thumb.jpg.3b70963562e0559b9c850f7c3cb8efe1.jpg

20240716_152224.thumb.jpg.0fd4cfafb10e88342d7a1f96ff39b516.jpg

20240716_152258.thumb.jpg.fd218ef6b63b36de6481dc7bcb598700.jpg

Hopefully on large screen rather than phone you will see what i mean.

Colin, this is how my hood is clipped. It's folded reasonably tight around the metal edge and fixed with three 'u' clips - clips are the same as used under the seat to clip the cover around the bottom edge of the frame 20240716_180843.thumb.jpg.1a57be756610358213812006f9d4b256.jpg 

• Like 1

Ditto, I replaced the hood on Plum last backend, and the one I took off was clipped to the panel behind, folded over and with 2 clips each side. I fitted the new one similarly, but I noticed that the hood was more difficult to fold down properly?. Also two of the clips pulled off. It probabaly needs new clips and perhaps more of them?.

Pete