1970 Vitesse Mk2, Hot restart problem.

peterc

Hi,

I'm new here, so apologies if this question has been asked a zillion times before.  I struggle to restart my newly aquired Vitesse from hot, after a run.  I can see fuel boiling in the glass topped filter.  There seems to plenty of air around the filter, so I'm guessing the filter is conduction heat from the block, to which it is bolted.  I wonder if it is possible to fit an insulation spacer between the block and the filter of say 5 or 6mm thickness to lessen the heat transfer?  If I did this, is the pump lever long enough to stil engage with the cam?

Thanks for reading.

peterc

Are you sure air isnt being pulled in the fuel line somewhere and bubbling in the filter? Feel the temperature of the pump when it happens - just too hot to hold is about 60 degrees and that could start boiling....

1 hour ago, johny said:

Are you sure air isnt being pulled in the fuel line somewhere and bubbling in the filter? Feel the temperature of the pump when it happens - just too hot to hold is about 60 degrees and that could start boiling....

I'd agree - or hope - that it's more likely to be air than boiling fuel. Is it fresh air getting in, or just the bubbles on top being agitated by the pump action? You'll never get them all out, but if it's excessive bubbles then there may be a leak somewhere..

first thing to check is the short fuel hose from the top of the tank/reserve outlet tomthe pipe work this little gem is hidden up in the boot   its so common this goes hard /ignored and sucks air but wont leak fuel as its above the tank fuel level 

fuel in the pump is air bubbles its never boiling .... i feel that idea is  bum steer  

Pete

Had one of the glass filters just after the tank in my MK1 2L Vitesse for years with no problem, when I fitted some gates barricade flexible hoses moved the filter to just before the carburetors and had hot restarting problems. Moved filter back to just after he tank and problem went away, find l do need quite a bit of throttle when hot restarting.

Regards

Paul.