Vitesse Mk 2L Carbs

peterc

Hi,  I'm attempting to get my Vitesse to tick over nicely.  One of the issues I need to address is that the spindles of my CDS carbs are badly worn and are very loose in the bodies, hence are sucking in air.  I have rebuild kits from Burlen and am now waiting for new spindles to arrive but fear the spindle holes in the bodies are worn too.  With the kits come brass spindle bushes with rubber inserts (as shown) Burlen tell me the bodies need to be line bored to accept these bushes, but that can't be right.  The spindle bosses in the bodies are too small to accept these bushes.   As others have noted elsewhere on this forum technical expertise is not Burlen's strong suit.  Has anyone here overcome this issue?

Maybe the bushes fit on the shaft externally to seal leaks? 

Has anyone found suitable replacement bushes to fit into the rebored bodies, like are available for SU carb bodies? 

Has anyone tried line boring and fitting 8mm shafts to CDS bodies?

Thanks

peterc

PXL_20240716_121101941.NIGHT.jpg

have used the carburettor exchange in leighton buzzard to line bore and bush worn bodies 

some later strombergs had replaceable seals fitted dont know when they were introduced  

its a look see job .

make sure the temperature compensators on the side are fully closed ( turn the small nut to close the plunger fully )and the 0 rings (two on each ) are seating well 

set the needles so the small delrin washer is just level with the base of the air piston thats  the good start factory set start point .

agree with jonny  most wear the shaft not the bore 

Pete

I have 175 CD2s on my Mk2 GT6 and these have a steel bush which carries the spindle and the outer part of the bush forms a cup into which the brass seals fit.

I didn't think any of the 150 Stroms had bushes or sleeves, but possibly they were introduced on later developments of the carbs.

It is possible that you have been sent the wrong rebuild kit!

Ian

I’ve just today rebuilt my GT6 Mk 2 150CDS carbs. The kit from Burlen did not contain seals like you show, and the carbs did not have a place for them. I had to have them rebushed due to spindle wear. Was just under £100 delivered back to me from Exeter Engineering.

never tried but with care an expanding reamer will follow the line 

or make a jig to support and care with a good bench drill

but any misalignment and daylight you wont control the idle .

you could possibly make a bush from a peice of nylon air brake pipe

just some thoughts 

Pete

19 hours ago, peterc said:

Hi,  I'm attempting to get my Vitesse to tick over nicely.  One of the issues I need to address is that the spindles of my CDS carbs are badly worn and are very loose in the bodies, hence are sucking in air.  I have rebuild kits from Burlen and am now waiting for new spindles to arrive but fear the spindle holes in the bodies are worn too.  With the kits come brass spindle bushes with rubber inserts (as shown) Burlen tell me the bodies need to be line bored to accept these bushes, but that can't be right.  The spindle bosses in the bodies are too small to accept these bushes.   As others have noted elsewhere on this forum technical expertise is not Burlen's strong suit.  Has anyone here overcome this issue?

Maybe the bushes fit on the shaft externally to seal leaks? 

Has anyone found suitable replacement bushes to fit into the rebored bodies, like are available for SU carb bodies? 

Has anyone tried line boring and fitting 8mm shafts to CDS bodies?

Thanks

peterc

Heres the bushes and those seals from James Paddock...

image.png.3386dfb73041091883280d1c77ca3efa.png

That's the sort of thing I remembered; the carb bodies require drilling out and the spindle bushes reseated (am I right that there are phosphor bronze versions?). From the diameter that seal looks like it must go on the inside? I've never tried it but unless I was really confident on the day I'd get the professionals to do it.