KYK711D Vitesse 1600/6 - Fitting New Wooden Steering Wheel

Just be aware the offset to the column ring might be different and need a spacer. Also the spring contact of the horn push to the boss was painted so couldn't complete the circuit. That had me stumped for some time until I checked for continuity. Once the paint was removed the horn worked 😊. Also check the boss doesn't make contact with the steering column shroud. You'll know if that happens as the horn will shatter a peaceful day🙉

Iain

Edited by Iain T

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Well!  The Motolita Horn Pencil and Connector fitted a treat! And now everything is working?  I did ordered an original pencil fm Retro spares 2 weeks ago but it still hasn't arrived(no rush tho! Ha!)

Edited by martyn wright

7 hours ago, martyn wright said:

Well!  The Motolita Horn Pencil and Connector fitted a treat! And now everything is working?  I did ordered an original pencil fm Retro spares 2 weeks ago but it still hasn't arrived(no rush tho! Ha

Well done!

My steering column now seems to have developed a few millimetres of in and out movement so occasionally it earths on the surround a sets the horn off.

Embarrassing and now I've finished playing with my hubs (for the moment) it's first on the list to inspect. Don't you love getting in the footwell .....!

Iain

15 hours ago, Iain T said:

My steering column now seems to have developed a few millimetres of in and out movement so occasionally it earths on the surround a sets the horn off.

Probably movement at the joint in the engine bay, they can move a considerable amount sometimes - or at least it feels like a lot when you're driving. 

14 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Probably movement at the joint in the engine bay

I'll give it a tug before I venture into the footwell.

I now drive as many around here ie constantly on the horn at every junction! A bit dangerous as last week I saw two gangs of blokes emerge from two cars and square up to one another over lane rage.

Edited by Iain T

7 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Probably movement at the joint in the engine bay, they can move a considerable amount sometimes - or at least it feels like a lot when you're driving.

It was the UJ lower joint into the rack spline. It looks like groove in the rack spline is bigger than the 5/16 bolt. A bu**er to get to and tighten with any force so for access I took off the side valance. It doesn't move now and no horn beeps.

Upwards and onwards! Definitely time for a Sharp's Offshore beer.

Cheers 🍻

Iain