wires or minilites

Hello all,

I'm looking at selling my chrome MWS wire wheels and getting some minilites as a replacement. The wires look great but I don't want the hastle of having inner tubes etc and I really like the look of minilites.

The question is would the minilites bolt straight onto the vitesse hubs? The wires are 13" so I'd be replacing them with the same size minilites or equivalent.

Many thanks for all your help

Kind regards

Rich

Hi Rich,

I just fitted 13 x 5J's to my Herald with an offset of ET20, so these should be a straight swap for your Vitesse also.

You might want to read this thread: http://forum.tssc.org.uk/index.php?/topic/1211-alloy-wheel-offset/?hl=offset a wheel stud upgrade is recommended.

If you want a little more detail on how it's done, look here: http://triumphherald1360.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/wheel-stud-upgrade.html

Darren

Rich, I have just done the very same thing; replacing the MWS chrome wires with Minilites. Tubes were not a problem but certainly cleaning was a nightmare and you will save 34kg in weight with five wheels. I fitted the wire wheels with 6mm spacers so that the wheel studs did not need shortening. If you find yours are too short it would be a good opportunity to change to 12mm studs.

rgds

John

Darren, John many thanks for your helpful posts, im going to measure the studs as the wires havent got any spacers between them so could be the short option.  In regards to wheel size is 13 x 5J's the usual wheel.  The offset of ET 20 and the same wheels would look great on my Mk1 Vitesse, does the offset bring the wheels further out towards the wheel arch hence ET20?

Im currently running 165/65/13 tyres would these fit on the 13 x 5J's?

Sorry for all the questions

Regards

Rich

Hi Rich,

Are you going for genuine Minilites of the JBW ones? One supplier recommended ET25, which would have brought the tyre further inboard, everywhere else said ET20, personally I would go for ET20 as that brings the wheels outward. I ended up going direct to JBW, they price matched an online trader and we're happy to supply the M12 wheel nuts, one supplier flatly refused to do this.

I have 165/70/13's on my 5J wheels, your 165/65's will be absolutely fine, you could go up to 175's if you wanted, but I wouldn't go any bigger than that.

Darren

Darren many thanks for all  the great info, im going to go with the JBW ones.  My car has been lowered slighty with spax shocks by the previous owner so im inclined to get the same size tyres to raise it by 8-9mm. In regards the nuts did you use closed end and if relevant locking nuts?

Great blog by the way and really useful, if i was closer i'd buy you a pint :)

In response to you Clive i think its a standard diff. i'll need to get under and have a look.

kind regards

Rich

Hi Rich,

Below is a useful chart, will help you make a decision on the tyres. You also need to consider circumference, you can compare here: http://www.willtheyfit.com/

JBW supplied closed end wheel nuts, you just need to ensure they don't bottom out if you're fitting the longer studs, shave a bit off if they do. I did buy a set of locking wheel nuts as well, but decided not to use them in the end.

Darren

Rim width    Minimum tyre width    Ideal tyre width        Maximum tyre width

5,0 Inches        155 mm                 165 or 175 mm              185 mm

5,5 Inches        165 mm                 175 or 185 mm              195 mm

Hello.

I was looking at the JBW website recently as I'm interested at getting a set of Dunlop D1 wheels (5.5 x 13) for my Roto-flex Vitesse; on which it will have 165/70/13 tyres.

When you compare the Minilites to the D1 wheels there is a difference with the offset. JBW Minilites show an offset of 25 compared to the JBW D1 of 16. I presume that the difference in the offset is due to the position of the mounting plate (where the bolts go through) between the 2x types of wheel ?? 

Would this be correct or would the offset of 16 require spacers to move the wheel further outboard ?? JBW do not state a case for that, so is it likely that the wheels either D1 or Minilites would actually be in an identical position once fitted due to the position of the mounting plate & design of the wheel ??

JBW list the D1 and Minilites as a specific wheel for Triumphs with the correct pcd; so it's not a case of fitting a wheel that could be a bit hit & miss.

I currently have (via the PO) a set of very nice Superlites (6x13) on the Vitesse with 165/70/13 tyres. However I'm not overly happy with that size wheel having 165 tyres; although I've not encountered any problems. I feel the 5.5 wheels are better suited. 

Any thoughts ??

Sorry to jump on your thread Rich, but I think offset is an issue that is often overlooked and worth discussing.

Thank you.

Richard.

Richard I think the offset is taken from the centre of the wheel itself. When I spoke to John Brown's they stated that it's different for some wheels due to the cast and model.

Regards

Rich

Darren many thanks for all you great advice, did you have to cut down the m12 studs prior to fitting the minilites or were they long enough?

Regards

Rich

Hi Rich,

No need to trim mine down, they were perfect i length. Best to check when you've inserted the first new stud as if you do need to shorten them it'll be easier off the car.

Cheers

Darren

On the fronts you may find the forged head makes contact with the machined register on the back of the hub,

a quick file or whiz on a grinder to add a small relief on the head chamfer just where it contacts this lip

as this can pitch the stud if not cleared.

do double check the fitted length , you dont want to have capped/domed nuts bottoming out leaving the nut tight but the wheel is loose

pete

After cleaning my spokes i found the original size (14x6J) which i believe to be 14 inch rims and 6 inches wide.  Funny thing is the tyres on it are 165 x 65 x 13.

Has anyone ever come across this before as i doubt the rims and tyres haven't been stamped wrong

Thanks

Rich

Rich.

That is very interesting.

If those figures are correct I would say you have incompatible tyre size (13") for the wheel size (14").

Additionally and as I mentioned earlier, I think 165 tyres are too narrow for 6J wheels.

I may be completely incorrect on both counts and I'm sure a more knowledgeable Forum user will be able to clarify. 

Regards.

Richard.

Yes Richard i re-read your post, i think the tyres are too small for the rim which is bizarre.  I am selling them at present but after cleaning them up, removing underseal and everything else that was sprayed on by the PO did i identify the real size and make (14 x 6J Dunlop).  Ive adjusted my adverts to reflect the amended size and looking at the rims they seem to poke out about 10/12 mm from where the tyre bead sits on both sides which could be due to them being 13 inch on a 14 inch rim.

Chatting to a friend who has a garage said that the 13 inch rim will sit lower in/on the wheel and still give a 13 inch profile but its not an ideal mix. Im still going to replace them with 5J x 13s like Darren but just curious of the mix of wheel/tyres on the car.

Regards

Rich

Rich.

I reckon the only reason those tyres are sticking to rim is that there is an inner tube.

No doubt about it, the tyres are not sitting against the rim edge properly, you can see the lip gap. How the wheel has not thrown the tyre is quite amazing and very fortunate IMHO.

Regards.

Richard.

Echo that

somethings very wrong, the welt/bead must be sitting in the well , cant see any approved

tyre fitter could do this, makes no sense you wouldnt do this to a wheelbarrow

It will make the advert seem confusing, and I wonder just what this has done to the tyre construction.. thats worrying

Pete