Oil in manifold? (GT6)

rulloyd

Hi all

Is this normal?  I had a fuel problem (blocked needle valves) which I’m fixing.  Took the carbs off today and around the manifold opening seems very oily.  And into the carb bore both sides.

Smells of petrol but definitely not just fuel.

Many thanks for all advice!

Rich

IMG_3139.thumb.jpeg.1edb79575b9de4b7687cf2b8cedbb96f.jpegIMG_3140.thumb.jpeg.00c5e95b91a93612cf6c9ca700b91046.jpegIMG_3138.thumb.jpeg.c67bf9e2dd187eedca1c737ad41e29d1.jpeg

Thanks all.  The engine was reconditioned a few years back (still very low mileage) and I changed the diaphragms at the same time.  The carbs are CD150 not CDSE.

i will have topped up the dash pots fairly recently but have driven the car since then so if any oil were to overflow into the carb bore it would have long gone I presume?  I broke down quite recently (unrelated, blocked needle valves) and the engine has stood idle for a couple of weeks since then. I noticed the oil when I took the carbs off to change the needle valves (and floats as coincidentally one was leaking).  The oil was trapped on the manifold side of the butterflies (both sides) so suggests it’s engine related?

Could a relatively new engine force oil down the breather (and get thought the  emission control valve?).  I should have a look in the U bend of the pipe into the manifold I guess.

I’ll also check the diaphragms. Can oil seep into the carb bore on a CD150 past the diaphragms? Otherwise where does excess oil go?

Thanks again.

Rich

that to me is the temperature compensator air bleed , if you have it on a base cds   i would assume its a blind hole

or some how a later body has been used

the throttle discs dont look centralised and the screws are best on the intake side so if they drop out you trap them

on the safe side 

also check the discs are fitted the right way round so the chamfered edge completely blocks any air flow/daylight

oil from over filled dashpots will exit down the air piston and run out the two holes in its bottom.

Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rulloyd said:

Could a relatively new engine force oil down the breather (and get thought the  emission control valve?).  I should have a look in the U bend of the pipe into the manifold I guess.

I’ll also check the diaphragms. Can oil seep into the carb bore on a CD150 past the diaphragms? Otherwise where does excess oil go?

Thanks again.

Rich

Its not a case of forcing oil down the breather but the manifold sucking oil rich vapour from the engine which on cooling lets the oil condense out and then run down into the manifold. Think theres a cover plate inside the rocker box to stop the larger droplets of oil being sucked into the vent pipe....

Some rocker covers have the cover plate extended to a small box, originally stuffed with wire wool.  That can become solid with oil residue, and block the vent, or in this case making it unable to capture oil droplets.

The other possibility is that crankcase pressure is too high, thanks to excess blow by.   The extra flow carries more oil vapour into the inlet.  Check compressions?

A cure would be to divert the hose to a catch tank, but that only deals with the symptoms!

John

2 hours ago, johny said:

Its not a case of forcing oil down the breather but the manifold sucking oil rich vapour from the engine which on cooling lets the oil condense out and then run down into the manifold. Think theres a cover plate inside the rocker box to stop the larger droplets of oil being sucked into the vent pipe....

My car actually has an SAH cover (I bought it new nearly 40 years ago… ). I don’t think it has a cover plate as far as I recall.  I also have a servo connected on the manifold side of the the breather pipe by the way.

Rich

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

Some rocker covers have the cover plate extended to a small box, originally stuffed with wire wool.  That can become solid with oil residue, and block the vent, or in this case making it unable to capture oil droplets.

The other possibility is that crankcase pressure is too high, thanks to excess blow by.   The extra flow carries more oil vapour into the inlet.  Check compressions?

A cure would be to divert the hose to a catch tank, but that only deals with the symptoms!

John

Thanks John. The engine is reconditioned, low mileage and was rebored.  I doubt there’s a compression issue (if there is I’ll be really annoyed!) but I’ll test it just the same 👍

Rich

check the dashpots ...always do the easy first

and with a servo connected to the breather are you really getting a full vacuum to power the servo ??

you can buy flame trap to add to a plain breather they were used on many cars its there to stop 

crankcase fumes from fire    bit like the davey lamp   its simple gauze to stop flame back 

places like car builder solutions list them 

Pete

10 hours ago, rulloyd said:

My car actually has an SAH cover (I bought it new nearly 40 years ago… ). I don’t think it has a cover plate as far as I recall.  I also have a servo connected on the manifold side of the the breather pipe by the way.

My servo connection, MK1 2L Vitesse, done years ago never been a problem, on a recent MOT examiner remarked on the efficiency of the brakes.

Regards

Paul.

Servo.jpeg

11 hours ago, rulloyd said:

Thanks John. The engine is reconditioned, low mileage and was rebored.  I doubt there’s a compression issue (if there is I’ll be really annoyed!) but I’ll test it just the same 👍

Rich

Oh, ye of too much faith!  The question is not how long ago it was rebuilt, but are the rings sealing adequately?   Get out your compression gauge and settle your mind!

Paul, a brake servo does not contribute to the "efficiency"  of the braking system.  It merely augments the pedal pressure, up to a point:

Servobrakeeffect.jpg.88e8f5bdc4fcf9c58b699193a0d13dff.jpg

Triumph's disc brakes, unassisted, are excellent.    You should be complimented ( and were!) on your brakes, but the servo should not take the credit.

John

Edited by JohnD

4 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

My servo connection, MK1 2L Vitesse, done years ago never been a problem, on a recent MOT examiner remarked on the efficiency of the brakes.

Regards

Paul.

Servo.jpeg

yes that connection looks ok Paul as any oil should drain to the manifold and not the servo but even so the manuals the bible (well nearly always😁)...

4 hours ago, JohnD said:

Paul, a brake servo does not contribute to the "efficiency"  of the braking system.  It merely augments the pedal pressure, up to a point:

Servobrakeeffect.jpg.88e8f5bdc4fcf9c58b699193a0d13dff.jpg

Triumph's disc brakes, unassisted, are excellent.    You should be complimented ( and were!) on your brakes, but the servo should not take the credit.

John

Quite agree, I fitted the servo to reduce the effort needed on the pedal not to improve the brakes. The biggest improvement I made to the brakes was to file the green stuff pads in the bin.

Regards

Paul.

Ha I managed to sell my slightly used green stuff pads on!

With brake efficiency it depends on what is meant, to some people efficient brakes are those that need little human effort to pull up a car effectively and a servo certainly helps that... 

On 24/09/2024 at 18:10, johny said:

but what else are people using? Its so easy put it in your engine (20w/50) - put it in your dashpots🙃

any thing  from wd40 , 3 in 1 ,antifreeze, 5w,10w beer and a variety of snake oils 

mick